CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Richard Furr

Profile:
Question Ideal Body Photograph

Hey guys,

This may sound weird, but here it goes: I heard about a goal setting technique for fitness and weight loss. You put a picture of your face on a picture of a body that yours will look like when you reach your goals. Put it on your fridge as a vision/motivator.

I am looking for a male physique photo without a shirt. One that is not too bulky muscular nasty body building like. I'm looking for a more normal healthy looking crossfit physique.

I've had no luck with search engines. Can anyone help?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Ideal Body Photograph

Put a picture up of what you look like now, then keep putting pictures of yourself next to it each month.

I guarantee if you give CrossFit your all, and eat clean and healthy, after 6 months, you will see major changes in yourself.

Why do I say do it this way? You can only be yourself, not someone else. Make a better you.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Chris Walls

Profile:

That and no matter how clean you eat and how hard you Crossfit, you may never look like this "ideal". You will however look like your full genetic potential (which should be satisfactory even if it's not the same as your "ideal")

Make sense? I agree with his suggestion of putting up pictures of yourself, in various stages. I wish I had taken before pictures, would have been neat to compare.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
Brad Thompson

Profile:

If your goal is appearance - get surgery.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:19 AM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

How about looking the CrossFit archives? Lots of pictures of CrossFit monsters...
Old 09-02-2007, 05:24 AM   #6
Alicia Michel

Profile:

besides lynne's suggestion, you can try the websites of the affiliates. i'm not sure exactly what kinds of bodies you're looking for, but i do like the physiques of some k-1 fighters like buakaw por pramuk and norifumi "kid" yamamoto.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
Richard Furr

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Ideal Body Photograph

Hey guys,

Thanks for making me think! I already lost 100 lbs in a <6 month period doing perfect paleo, exercising everyday(pic attached). I still have to sometimes remind myself I'm not fat anymore. After that I've been stuck at 30% BF ever since(6 months). I started losing motivation, and eating junk for the first time, and not exercising regularly.

Now that I think about it, when I lost all that weight and stuck to it so good, I didn't care about losing weight(for appearance), just being healthy. It was like it all the sudden disappeared. I guess after that I got so caught up in my success that my frame of mind started to change.

It seems like the best frame of mind to have is getting healthy. Not losing weight. When I think of losing weight, I think of looking better. I guess if you want to lose weight you have to want it for yourself only, not for other people(appearance).

I still like the idea of visualization possibly.. I'll just hang up pictures of the way I currently look, to remind myself I'm not super obese anymore.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	richsplitscreen2.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	553  
Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
Alicia Michel

Profile:

nice work richard!! you look much healthier in the second photo

different methods work for different people... putting their face on a picture of a healthy body motivates some people. a hypnotherapist suggests spending some time each day visualising yourself as a third person with the healthy body, and then "going into" that third person - it's supposed to help in that you'll think of yourself as a healthy person and therefore eat healthy, rather than think of yourself as a fat loser and continue to eat junk because there's no point in trying.

i don't see problem with what you want to do, or that coudl arise with what you want to do, as long as it works for you and helps you get where you want to be!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
Alicia Michel

Profile:

PS check out our "10lb challenge" thread in the workout logs section
Old 09-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
Sean Gillespie

Profile:

Have you thought about the approach of simply focusing on how much work you can do during training sessions ie how much can you deadlift, how quickly can you finish a WOD, etc etc

If you really focus on that everything else becomes a bi-product of that focus. You will lose weight, you'll look at junk food and think "this will make me slower/weaker, I'm not interested." but you've genuinely got to want to make those increases in your workloads.

This is just one approach but personally I've found it really simplifies a lot of different lifestyle choices into pretty clear "yes/no" responses