CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
John Maloney

Profile:
Santa Cruz Elite Athletes

What are the backgounds of the regulars in these videos who continue to amaze us with stellar performerances.

Annie
Nicole
GregA
Brendan
etc.

I wonder if they were regular Joes who've just been CFing for 3-4 years or is if some of them have been doing gymnastics from an early age, etc. Just curious.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Santa Cruz Elite Athletes

Most have been active in CF for a number of years . . . training themselves and others at CF Santa Cruz.

As far as I know, all were pretty much just "regular Joes" (and Janes) before CF. Nicole has been famously described (with great respect) as a "hippie pottery teacher" (by a Special Forces guy who had just been smoked in the OHS).

The only exception to that that I can think of off the top of my head is Eva Twardokens, who was America's best female skier (multiple Olympic appearances) back in the '80s and early '90s.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Randy Gruezo

Profile:

In short Crossfit, will make beast out of all of us!!! That is if you put in the work.

Randy Gruezo
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com
Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

I'm pretty sure you could find strong CrossFitters at any location if they had been training long enough. It's not like people move to CrossFit Santa Cruz once they get a sub 3:00 Fran and 25+ rounds Cindy. Those who are there, just happened to be there. I'm sure the personal coaching Greg and Lauren Glassman helped, but personal effort is what makes the final outcome.

If you watch the videos, you can also see many "normal" people, struggling with their WOD's in the background, and, of course, loving it. http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1...onwackobz7.gif
Old 09-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
John Maloney

Profile:

I don't think you could get a regular Jane to develop the upper body strength we see from Annie & Nicole with any less than say 2-3 years training. I think someone who'd done gymnastics since childhood would take right to it though. That's why I'm curious. I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if they have been regular Joes or Janes. It's very unlikely someone could go from non-athlete pottery teacher to 15 b/w OHS without a lot of time, effort, & a bit of genetic predisposition.

I think you last couple guys miss the point. Who said anything about Santa Cruz being some magical place? Who said it's (CF) not effective? That wasn't the question. There are many strong CF'ers but really few elites, and they have several. Their featured athletes are certainly at that elite level, so I'm just curious about their backgrounds. It seems odd that it isn't well known. We have some strong individuals at our gym but the best performers seemed to have walked in the door in great shape after years of training in other things. I'm guessing hitting 20 tabata pushups & sub 4min Fran will take me 2 yrs of hard work & eating right.

The question wasn't does the program work, it's how long have they been CF'ing and what did they bring coming in.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Brent Wenson

Profile:

I don't know about all of the folks, but Nicole was indeed a school teacher (taught a pottery class at the "hippy high school") before coming to CrossFit, she was a "regular Joe."

A lot of the "elite" performers do come to CrossFit and in a shorter time frame do ridiculous Fran times and such. For the rest of us, expect two to three years of doing WOD's and eating strict Zone to achieve that level.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
John Hoffner

Profile:

I wouldn't just describe Eva T. as America's best female skier. I would have before attending the seminar, but watching how effortlessly she acheives actions I cannot fathom how to perform, seeing the results of her dedication in person, it leaves me in awe.
She demo'ed the muscle up for us, and a thought burst into my head as she soared up and through the transition into an L sit on the rings:
"She's like Captain America's big sister."--The one who gave him nuggies and wedgies as he was growing up and can still kick his butt if he gets smart with her.
Indeed she's no regular Jane, she could whoop a superheroe's ***.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maloney View Post
Who said anything about Santa Cruz being some magical place?
Santa Cruz is a magical place!
Haven't you heard of the "The Mystery Spot"?

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 09-17-2007 at 12:46 AM. Reason: unqualified link
Old 09-14-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
Ryan Scott

Profile:

How big is Greg? I watched that video of Heavy Fran, and I am amazed at how easy he makes it look. Any idea how much he eats?

Ryan.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Judging by that video, I would guess that he eats 5-6 servings of fresh babies and pure nitroglycerin every day.