CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-22-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
On today's C&J, I often banged my knees (the flat front of the patella) into the bar on its' way up.

Is there a typical technique flaw I have here? Am I trying to scoop too early? This was the first time I have ever attempted a max C&J, so I may have been a bit quick in my movements.

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Yes, this a common error.

Pull the knees back out of the way of the bar; do not move the bar around the knees. Or... try pulling the bar back hard without moving the knees out of the way. This will wack the bar into your knees so hard - hopefully drawing blood - that you'll get them out of the way next time! (For all the A.C.E. certified trainers who may be lurking and are afraid of their own pink dumbells, I'm just kidding about the last part. Mostly.)

Not the best angle, but check out this pic:
http://www.weightlifting.gr/loutraki...ries/pg_22.jpg

Also check out the 3rd page, 10th picture on this webpage:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~lazygit/events/gallery2005/sofia/page2/index.h tml
Notice how vertical the shins are and how close the bar is. The bar path from the floor to this position is straight up or even slightly back towards the lifter.

Also yes, many people are impatient on their pull and start the second pull much too early.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Cool pictures Linc. While we're on the scoop, I find myself pausing after the scoop, sort of getting set. This puts the bar at a dead stop, pointers?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Larry, just don't stop.

Sorry that wasn't much help, but really the only way to get rid of the pause is just to get rid of the pause. We teach the lifts in parts, but then you have to learn to put the parts together and perform the lift in one smooth motion. That takes practice.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Thanks Lincoln.

That first picture scared me a bit, I think I can get past it though.:happy:

Both pictures you mentioned show a snatch. Isn't it a bit more difficult to get the shins vertical on a C&J? I also seem to remember something about the weight being over the balls of the feet when the initial pull begins.

I just think I'm beginning the second pull too early, I just wanted to check. I think that's fine, it means there's a lot of room already for technique improvement to boost my numbers in this lift!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
In the link to the European Champs that Lincoln posted look on the 3rd page of pics, the 3rd column over-top pic - her shins are pretty darn vertical.

As you're coming off the floor during your first pull, your back angle should remain constant and the bar should be pulled in close (touching your shin.) If you try to open up your back angle too soon, you'll lose power and you're knees will likely get in the way.

Look on that same page of pics, 1st column-3rd row and 2nd column-3rd row. I think that's the same pic Lincoln was referrring to. You need to pull your knees back as you stand to keep the bar trajectory as straight as possible while pulling it in as close to your body as possible.

Then transition into the second pull - without hesitation.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Garrett, the technique concepts are the same for the snatch as the clean. In fact, I find the clean a bit easier to get the shins more vertical as the hips start higher so there is a little less need for hip flexibility at the point where the bar passes the knees. At that poing, the lift resembles the bottom of a Romanian Deadlift or a Good Morning. Both the GM and the RDL stress the hamstring strength AND flexibility.

I've been taught that the COG should be on the heels when the initial lift begins, not the balls of the feet.

One of these days I'll have to get down to Tuscon or you'll have to come up to Sedona!
Old 02-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Nothing digital here, so moving to Exercises.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Lincoln,
With getting my website going, it's unlikely I'll be getting up there anytime soon. That being said, my wife and I do have a guest bedroom and a very functional home gym in my two-car garage! Email me sometime if you're thinking about coming down, I'll do the same!
Old 02-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Garrett,
I'm no pro on this, but after having been to Coach Bergner's last weightlifting seminar in San Diego, a big pointer that stuck with me in that part of the movement was to BE PATIENT. People really want to rush that part of the move, but just pulling patiently from the ground, moving the knees out of the way, and rising steadily until it reaches the point it would be at in the "down" position, then that is where you explode from, with no pause or hesitation. He reiterated time and again to just be patient bringing it from the ground, past the knees, and up to your "down" position.
If there was ANY way you could make it to his next seminar, or another one in the near future, it's invaluable. I learned SO much in just 2 days of coaching. He's amazing.