CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
"Perks of Cross-Training May End Before Finish Line"

Interesting article about cross-training for sports performance. Basically, there isn't good carry-over from one endurance sport to another. However, weight training does benefit endurance performance. Finally, cross-training hasn't been shown to reduce injuries. For instance, the only way to reduce running injuries is not to run (or run less).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/health/16best.html

WFS
Old 08-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Dustin Standel

Profile:
Re: "Perks of Cross-Training May End Before Finish Line"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
Interesting article about cross-training for sports performance. Basically, there isn't good carry-over from one endurance sport to another. However, weight training does benefit endurance performance. Finally, cross-training hasn't been shown to reduce injuries. For instance, the only way to reduce running injuries is not to run (or run less).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/health/16best.html

WFS
I think you missed the main idea here - crosstraining maintains cardio-vascular endurance and health, but rowing won't help you run better. Crosstraining in an endurance sport for fitness is good for everyone, it says, just be aware that the time spent crosstraining in that sport won't help your performance in your primary sport. This isn't news.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

The article seems to imply that CrossFit metcons wouldn't benefit endurance performance, though. At least that's my take. Strength training would, of course.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
The article seems to imply that CrossFit metcons wouldn't benefit endurance performance, though. At least that's my take. Strength training would, of course.
Correction: CrossFit metcons won't benefit sport specific endurance performance, if the metcons do not include that movement.

Sport athletes can use CrossFit as a conditioning tool, not as a sport-specific training tool.