CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
What is your #1 strength training question?

Ask here and I will do my best to address it.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Matt Hemphill

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

Thanks for doing this Chris,

I do not have a setup yet to use bands or chains, so on DE days what percentages should I be using instead of say the 45, 50 and 55%?

A follow up if I may, I realize that this might not be as effective as using bands/chains, but is it worthwhile to do DE without bands/chains or is it a waiste of my time? I intend to alleviate my equipment problem soon.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Michael Ferrell

Profile:

I have always been interested in my leg strength. I have a buddy who use to never EVER do legs and all he focused on was his upper body. Let me say he looked ridiculous too. Anyways I have always read that the more you work your legs the more testosterone it releases into your body which overall in my mind will make you whole body stronger, is this true? Before I broke my back I was squatting at about 10 reps anywhere from 315-335 and I am only 5'8 155lbs. I would like to get back to this point because I always felt like the harder I worked my lower body the better base I would have for a stronger upper body. Hope this makes sense lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Ross Barrett

Profile:

Hi Chris, i have a couple of quick questions.

1. Im following the cffb programming which is great but do you think some assistance work on arms would help with pull-ups and presses etc?

2. with following only cffb what should my calorific intake be roughly to make constant gains with getting fat? male, 25, 80kg, 5ft 11".

3. my max weights- deadlift = 140kg, back squat = 92.5kg, bench = 105kg, press = 60kg.

4. when following the programme i struggle with the olympic lifts that include squatting due to poor flexibility. shall i drop doing these with any weight what so ever and stretch/ perform form training rather than the lift? do something else to condition/ strength train on that day?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Sort of a strength question.

How many strict (ring) pull-ups and strict (ring) dips should one be able to perform before attempting a successful ring muscle-up?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Tim, no offense toward Chris, but he is a Powerlifter not a Gymnastics Coach.

MU is mainly transition. I remember the old 15 of each but I have seen young gymnasts do them when they didn't have those numbers. Especially in ring dips. Many young gymnasts become pullup machines but dips and ring dips progress slowly with them. I've been able to do them when I was fresh around 7 or 8 pullups/dips (not even ring dips mind you just on PB). 10-10 is probably all that is necessary. 10 legit hollow pullups.

I'd still like to hear your input on it though, Chris.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hemphill View Post
Thanks for doing this Chris,

I do not have a setup yet to use bands or chains, so on DE days what percentages should I be using instead of say the 45, 50 and 55%?

A follow up if I may, I realize that this might not be as effective as using bands/chains, but is it worthwhile to do DE without bands/chains or is it a waiste of my time? I intend to alleviate my equipment problem soon.

I don't feel that accomodating resistance (the bands and chains) is absolutely necessary for speed work. It is recommended, but I would not forego it simply because you don't have bands or chains.

Well, for box squats the percentages are normally 50-55-60%. I would start with that and time your speed. You could then experiment by moving up a bit. The key is being able to maintain the speed. If you slow down then the load is too heavy.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Tim, no offense toward Chris, but he is a Powerlifter not a Gymnastics Coach. ...
Thanks Blair, appreciate the helpful response. Didn't mean to hijack though, sorry.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ferrell View Post
I have always been interested in my leg strength. I have a buddy who use to never EVER do legs and all he focused on was his upper body. Let me say he looked ridiculous too. Anyways I have always read that the more you work your legs the more testosterone it releases into your body which overall in my mind will make you whole body stronger, is this true? Before I broke my back I was squatting at about 10 reps anywhere from 315-335 and I am only 5'8 155lbs. I would like to get back to this point because I always felt like the harder I worked my lower body the better base I would have for a stronger upper body. Hope this makes sense lol.
Michael,

The idea that any transient increase in testosterone (or GH for that matter) from compound movements like squats or deadlifts is a myth. The reason squats work so well for overall mass is that they are very efficient. They stress a very large percentage of the body's overall skeletal muscle and therefore provide a very significant growth stimulus with a minimum of actual work.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Tim, no offense toward Chris, but he is a Powerlifter not a Gymnastics Coach.

MU is mainly transition. I remember the old 15 of each but I have seen young gymnasts do them when they didn't have those numbers. Especially in ring dips. Many young gymnasts become pullup machines but dips and ring dips progress slowly with them. I've been able to do them when I was fresh around 7 or 8 pullups/dips (not even ring dips mind you just on PB). 10-10 is probably all that is necessary. 10 legit hollow pullups.

True, but I do know quite a bit about the body's physiological adaptation to resistance. In other words, don't pigeonhole me. With that said, I agree that I don't have the experience with MUs to have anything other than a solid guess.