CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Daniel Dean

Profile:
Re: Blue sapphire or diamond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Well if that was a concern... I would be solely be looking at Kimberly diamonds, and avoiding conflict stones. Given the fact I am Canadian, so the bias is there already.

Btw Daniel, how many of those miners that work the Bingham mine are just a paycheck above poverty line?
I was mostly being facetious, though the Kimberly process is not as airtight as the diamond industry would like us to believe. I also have a general dislike of diamonds because they are so overvalued due to artificial scarcity. More generally, I find it a little disappointing that our modern empowered female populace is still so enthralled by shiny rocks.

I have no idea how well Kennecott pays people at Bingham. I'm sure there are janitors and such who barely make minimum wage, but having worked with excavators a lot I can pretty safely guess that the guys down in the pit setting charges and driving 190-ton haul trucks and giant front-end loaders are doing pretty well.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
If she's into CF and active, go with a round Bezel set ring. It's a little different, classy and great if you are active.
Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
David Meverden

Profile:

Obviously the bride to be is #1 consideration, but I will say that I'm FIRMLY on the side of Sapphire.

My (now) wife has a Sapphire ring. She knew she wanted it and we picked it out together after I proposed. It's WAY prettier than a boring diamond. When we were hanging out with newly weds she got way more compliments than other women with more expensive, but more boring, diamond rings. If you get a good sapphire the color is just amazing.

Attached is a picture. It has small diamonds to give it some solid sparkle, but a central sapphire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rings.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	9119  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Obviously the bride to be is #1 consideration, but I will say that I'm FIRMLY on the side of Sapphire.

My (now) wife has a Sapphire ring. She knew she wanted it and we picked it out together after I proposed. It's WAY prettier than a boring diamond. When we were hanging out with newly weds she got way more compliments than other women with more expensive, but more boring, diamond rings. If you get a good sapphire the color is just amazing.

Attached is a picture. It has small diamonds to give it some solid sparkle, but a central sapphire.
Damn classy looking set . Well done
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

If it were me, I'd want the sapphire. Partly because I know too much about the diamond market, partly because sapphires are more unique and therefore more striking.

But diamonds are the safe choice. Don't get a sapphire unless you're very very sure.

Or else follow David's example and pick it out together. Done right, that can be just as romantic as pulling a box out of your pocket, with less potential for painful mistakes.

Katherine
Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Many places will let you get a "placeholder" ring to use for the proposal, so you can later come in to choose the band and setting, talk to your jeweler.

Other than that, absolutely your girl is the only one who can tell you the ring she will like. Some ladies are dead set on a BIG diamond and nothing else will do - and somehow getting the wrong ring would effect their answer as well; others more flexible would be pleased with any shiny ring; and then there are weirdos like myself, who wouldn't want gemstones at all.

Personally I think a nice sapphire is beautiful and much more unique than a diamond setting, but only your lady's opinion counts.

Either way, Good luck
Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

Or else follow David's example and pick it out together. Done right, that can be just as romantic as pulling a box out of your pocket, with less potential for painful mistakes.

Katherine
This option worked out great for us. My proposal would not have been any more awesome if I had had a ring. Of course my wife is super cool: Some women might be like "BUT WHERE'S THE RING??" You'll have to judge that for you own.

I knew more or less what she wanted, but joint shopping makes it basically guaranteed that she'll love the ring. Considering how long she'll be wearing it it's a good idea. Just make sure you find a good jeweler. We went to two places:
Place 1) I said how much I wanted to spend. He thought about it and said that should be doable. Showed me gems in my price range.
Place 2) Nodded at my price suggestion, then proceeded to show us about a half dozen rings with much more expensive gemstones than what I had just asked about. Kept talking about what a nice stone we could get if we just spent a few thousand more. Tried to subtly make us doubt our initial choice.

Obviously went with #1. They had some great stones shipped in, made the ring, it was within a few hundred dollars of what I originally said (PM me if you want to get into specific numbers) and we LOVE it. Great people.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Because of David's experiences, I'd suggest pre-screening the jeweler if you decide to pick out the ring together. Make sure you're comfortable with him, talk about budget and options, that sort of thing.

Katherine
Old 03-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Because of David's experiences, I'd suggest pre-screening the jeweler if you decide to pick out the ring together. Make sure you're comfortable with him, talk about budget and options, that sort of thing.

Katherine
really?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
really?
Why not? You'd check out the restaurant for a big date, wouldn't you?

Katherine