CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: An Effective, Yet Simple Strength and Conditioning Program

Trust me, one set of deadlifts will be enough. Once you're pulling more than your old 1RM for sets of 5 you'll be smoked after a set. Any more than that would tax your CNS too much and keep you from being able to recover and come back stronger the next week. And eventually you'll probably hit a point where you can't recover from a heavy set of 5 deads (or a 3x5 of squats) by the next workout--that's called outgrowing a linear progression and time to move up to an intermediate program.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #22
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vanzavelberg View Post
Certainly to prevent overload while being sure the body rest enough to hit the incremental loading best.

For the V1.0, here is a link (with a bunch of other links) (wfs) : http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50968
paul, i was under the impression that deadlifts would have gotten more work if not for the fact that they came at the end of a workout that included three work sets of back squats. that isn't the case in this version of the template.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #23
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Squats are the basis of the program--you do them a lot more often. But a heavy set of 5 deadlifts will tax you just as much as 3x5 of squats. On the older CFWF program I never felt woozy after squats, even when I was failing on rep 4 or 5, but I came close to passing out after 5 deadlifts on a few occasions. And regularly felt drained and useless the day after deadlift day, which was never the case with squats.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #24
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Trust me, one set of deadlifts will be enough. Once you're pulling more than your old 1RM for sets of 5 you'll be smoked after a set. Any more than that would tax your CNS too much and keep you from being able to recover and come back stronger the next week. And eventually you'll probably hit a point where you can't recover from a heavy set of 5 deads (or a 3x5 of squats) by the next workout--that's called outgrowing a linear progression and time to move up to an intermediate program.
yes. this.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #25
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

But an intermediate program doesn't mean you're pulling more heavy deads--you're pulling fewer super-heavy reps, because those reps are heavy enough to tax your CNS pretty seriously and require more recovery.

Like with Texas Method--depending on how you set it up you might only pull heavy deadlifts as a single, double, or triple on the intensity day, or a single set of 5 on volume day. That gives you one deadlift day per week on TM as opposed to 3 every 2 weeks on a standard linear progression.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #26
Christian Holm

Profile:

As a beginner strength athlete, would you recommend doing this or Starting Strength without GOMAD? I did SS with GOMAD several months ago, and gained significant strength and weight while on the program, but lost a lot of it as I shed the fat after weening off the milk. I would like to gain that strengh back, but also want the conditioning. My college is right on the beach, so I am able to surf everyday, but I also have goals of improving my push ups and pull ups as well. Also, would it be fine to substitute push ups in place of dips? Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #27
Robert Beckett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Holm View Post
Also, would it be fine to substitute push ups in place of dips? Thanks
As someone who is very heavy for my level of strength, I wonder about this too (I can't do very many dips at all).
Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #28
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Use rubber band assistance for dips--there's really no comparison between pushups or even bar dips and ring dips, because ring dips use so many stabilizer muscles that are hard to target in any other way. Or if you don't have any rubber bands just work ring static holds for a while till you get stronger, then work a few negative reps a day, then try to move up to ring dips.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #29
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Use rubber band assistance for dips--there's really no comparison between pushups or even bar dips and ring dips, because ring dips use so many stabilizer muscles that are hard to target in any other way. Or if you don't have any rubber bands just work ring static holds for a while till you get stronger, then work a few negative reps a day, then try to move up to ring dips.
How exactly do you rig up a band for assisted ring dips? Tie the band up to the bar that the rings are supported on?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #30
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
How exactly do you rig up a band for assisted ring dips? Tie the band up to the bar that the rings are supported on?
I've always just put the band in the palm of my hand then gripped the rings so my hands are holding the band on the rings.