CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Andreas Schrammel

Profile:
Question SS without a partner

Hi!

Just wondered if any of you doing a starting strength routine without a partner to assist on the heavy lift.

I have a subscription to a fitness center over here in Austria, but the fact is that I hate it. All those posers aorund there juiced like beasts doing Hammercurls...

But I wanted to give SS a try but I have no partner to help or assist. There is only a Squat stand in this studio and nothing like a cage.

The next problem I have is that I could only do SS till June because I am a LEO and some of you might know in June ist Soccer European Cup. And this means to me that I have work 3 weeks without a chance for training. Should I do WODīs till June or give SS a shot?

PS:Please excuse my poor english
Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: SS without a partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Schrammel View Post
Hi!

Just wondered if any of you doing a starting strength routine without a partner to assist on the heavy lift.

I have a subscription to a fitness center over here in Austria, but the fact is that I hate it. All those posers aorund there juiced like beasts doing Hammercurls...

But I wanted to give SS a try but I have no partner to help or assist. There is only a Squat stand in this studio and nothing like a cage.

The next problem I have is that I could only do SS till June because I am a LEO and some of you might know in June ist Soccer European Cup. And this means to me that I have work 3 weeks without a chance for training. Should I do WODīs till June or give SS a shot?

PS:Please excuse my poor english
Do SS solo, not an issue. Don't use collars on BB for bench press, if you get stuck, just tip BB to one side or the other. If you need to take 3 weeks off, do, just come back to the program.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Squats are the only thing I get a little scared doing with SS. I've hit some nasty stalls. A power cage would be great. Other than that it's pretty safe solo, as Jay mentioned.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
Squats are the only thing I get a little scared doing with SS. I've hit some nasty stalls. A power cage would be great. Other than that it's pretty safe solo, as Jay mentioned.
Elliot, just practice dumping the weight. While you hope you don't need to, I've seen lifters bail on BS and FS squats very smoothly. I've seen others, not bail quite so well, so practice a few dumps just to know you can drop it either front or back and come out in one piece.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Andreas Schrammel

Profile:

Thanks so far, will try my first SS session tomorrow
Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
Andreas Schrammel

Profile:

So... I am just back vom my first SS session. And I am really really weak...

Squats 65 kg (143 pounds)

Bench 50 kg (110 pounds)

Chins 3 Sets 15, 10, 8 (without weight)

I didnīt DL today because the my legs were shaky from the Squats and the Barbells were occupied...

Man got a lot work to do, but it will be a hell of fun
Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

My only partner is my bumpers.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Andreas Schrammel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
My only partner is my bumpers.
Mine will be the Ipod next time
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Andreas, I started squatting at 95 lbs with really bad form. As my form got better, adding weight got easier. Don't even stop working on form, as it will really make going up in weight all the more effecient. Rip's cue to think "Up" the entire time really helped me get rid of my pause at the bottom while keeping tight the entire time. Hard work alone has gotten me from 165 2 months ago to 185 lbs now (bodyweight), while my squat went from 95 lbs (I was very skinny and unathletic in the legs and torso), to 195x5x3 last session, and, hopefully, 200 lbs today. I now look forward to squatting so much that it scares me sometimes; I used to hate leg days, and now they're my favorite, excecpt for maybe deadlifting.

Keep working, and keep working on form, and you'll rocket through the weight.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
James Bailey

Profile:

Hey,

I am doing SS solo in a Uni gym in Basel. I just dump the bar when I fail, and do the no collars trick when I bench press. It makes a hell of a noise dumping 105kg with no bumpers, like I had to do the other day when I couldn't get up from rep 4 of my third set of back squats, but it's safe if you practise it.

The lifts do go up fast to, I have just reached my first little plateau and am backing off by 10ish kg this week and then working back up. Every lift is up by at least 15kg though which I think is not bad for the third week.