CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #151
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:
Re: 12 week Tabata project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Tabatas on a treadmill are a terrible idea. I could give you 50 reasons. Just don't do them.
I don't doubt you, but could you give me a couple of your 50 reasons?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #152
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Do you do pullups at the same rate every round? The answer to this question takes up the first 10 reasons.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #153
Scott Borre

Profile:

Its not so terrible Gant. CFE recommends it a tad. The reason is that it forces people to keep pace, instead of slacking like people are more likely to do on the track. Of course, one can always just decrease the speed as they are going. However, the general idea is to just complete the same amount of distance each time. I recommend people just run 4 rounds one direction, and then turn around and try to finish where you started at the end of the 8th round.

The best kind of treadmill for this is the type where you can just run on it as hard as you want, as its all free wheeled (meaning that it only moves if you move it). However, I haven't heard how well this works with pose running.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #154
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Borre View Post
Its not so terrible Gant. CFE recommends it a tad. The reason is that it forces people to keep pace, instead of slacking like people are more likely to do on the track.
Yeah, those are traditional intervals, and they serve their purpose (and they're great for endurance). Graphically, they are a relatively flat horizontal line.

Tabata intervals are 20:10 intervals with a rapid decline in force production. Graphically, they start higher than traditional intervals and decline sharply.

The intervals are performed totally and completely different, and treadmills absolutely suck for Tabatas. It's like putting ketchup on a ribeye. Theoretically, it could be done, but it misses the whole ****ing point, and one should be shot for doing it.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #155
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Shane and Arturo, I'll try to find some more info on the treadmill stuff. I just read a thread that discusses why they're so bad for much of what we do. If I can't dig it up, I'll give my own views on it.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #156
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Gant: do not worry about it. I don't have access to a tradmill and I too have my reasons for thinking it would suck - for example, how would you "stop" on the treadmill after the 20 seconds? Jumping off of it while leaving it on the same speed? Or lowering the speed to a "walking" or stopped speed? Don't these machines take at least a couple of seconds to change the velocity from zero to whatever-you-sprint-at ? ... Also, getting really tired on the treadmill, I could see a pretty hard fall someday, if done too frequently... I'd do my running outside, seriously.

Back to the Tabata Project: like I said, I am still posting newbie-numbers/times, but I will do as Gant, and do one tabata of those three exercises, at least once per week. Yesterday was Front Squats, 5x10 .. after that, I did push-ups and pull-ups (with rest in between). Funnily enough, today, only my traps are sore, nothing else. My quads are sore, but I suspect not because of the front squats, but because the day before I did Murph (half of it), and the 10 rounds which included 15 air squats left my quads sore already. My quads have no endurance! Today I'll do that WOD from 2 days ago (30/40/50/60/70 stuff, but will lower the numbers) and will try to do tabata squats afterwards, but it'll be tough on sore quads already.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #157
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Keeping up with the protocal, you guys can check out the progress here:

wfs
Brian PCF Workout Blog

Graphing the progress, I seem to be getting stronger in the first round or two, but then drop pretty precipitously after that.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #158
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Bump, good stuff.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #159
Dan Graziano

Profile:

Tabata on a treadmill is great stuff! My favorite is incline at 12 and speed at 7.5+. By 6 your legs are screaming!