CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #21
Donald Lee

Profile:
Re: How many calories do we burn with an average CF workout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Glynn View Post
I've worn a heart rate monitor during a workout and between the warm up, skill work, workout, and cool down I had burned around 600 cals.

I'm 22, 6'4", 195#. I don't remember the workout, but it was around 15min-20min in duration. Just for reference.
HR monitors tend to massively overestimate calorie burn. If you want a fairly accurate estimate of calorie burn, you can use a bodybugg.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #22
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hanley View Post
This. EPOC is massively overplayed and typically measured as a % of the kcals burned during workouts. Even a 40-50% EPOC on a 20 minute workout is nothing - you're talking an extra 80-100kcals.
There is more going on than EPOC, like tissue repair and synthesis however that part hasn't been fully quantified yet. But like you say even if it's 50% of the session itself, it's not a big number.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #23
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
HR monitors tend to massively overestimate calorie burn. If you want a fairly accurate estimate of calorie burn, you can use a bodybugg.
Is there a way to calculate calories burned if one knows their average heart rate for a certain duration of exercise? For example, if I went mountain biking for an hour and my average heart rate was 175, could I calculate calories burned from this information? I'm 25yo 5'11 175lbs. 14%BF.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #24
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
Is there a way to calculate calories burned if one knows their average heart rate for a certain duration of exercise?
is it possible? Yes. That's how heart rate monitors do it. Is it accurate? Not really. Calories are burned (mostly) by your muscles, not your heart.

Katherine
Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #25
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
Is there a way to calculate calories burned if one knows their average heart rate for a certain duration of exercise? For example, if I went mountain biking for an hour and my average heart rate was 175, could I calculate calories burned from this information? I'm 25yo 5'11 175lbs. 14%BF.
Buy a BodyBugg and use it for a month or so. Then, sell it after you've figured out how many calories you burn during different activities. The BodyBugg isn't accurate during bike riding though.