CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:37 AM   #1
bill fox

Profile:

So last night were coming home and there are 5-6 cop cars blocking our street. Looked like it had to be something serious. Lot's of people standing around.

I get out of the car and I see 2 SWAT guys I've trained. Both around 30 built like bulls. I get the big hello, they explain that actually it's no big deal, some dip weed on a stolen motorcycle lead them on a high speed chase that just happened to end on my corner.

They proceed to move the cop car for me that's blocking the street long enough for us to pull through. As we're parking they pull up to the house and start telling my wife what a "stud" I am and how "I put them all to shame".

She thought was pretty cool.

Bill
Old 05-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
The master is shunned in his homeland. What is a more specific expression of homeland than your home, and who is there in your home but your wife? It has been my experience that the very last person on this earth to be impressed by anything I do is my wife...of course that could be that I don't do anything impressive, but let's pretend for a moment that I did, she wouldn't notice, care or comment. Not a slam by any means it just seems to me that wives don't take note of our manly expressions of power. We are supposed to notice when they cut or color their hair, and we are supposed to know the right answer to "Does this dress make me look fat?" but they don't notice or seem to care about a PR with a workout or race and when I finally get a muscle up she is likely to say, "Isn't that an A move?"

Your story is a good one Bill. You have a wife who acknowledges your talents when a couple huge SWAT guys go to your house and tell her you are a stud. Buy her some flowers, tell her her hair looks great and that she has never looked better in the dress.

eug
Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Don Woodson

Profile:
What Eugene said.
Just like when I easily heaved my old broken water heater upstairs, upright and on my back, as opposed to the previous effort of inching and prying it up the stairs.
Wife's words of encouragement: "Don't scratch the effing wall!"
Old 05-11-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
David Werner

Profile:
Eugene

I'm sending you a pound of cheese.

Dave
Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
Ben Krey

Profile:

A whole pound? That's should be enough for 2 gallons of wine.

Congrats on the brownie points Bill.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Oh great. Now I'm feeling like Rodney Dangerfield. I'm not whinning, I'm not, I'm not, I'm not. Thanks for the cheese though. Pepper jack or Mizithra.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #7
Ted Williams

Profile:
I get what you mean Eugene, but so far I've had a different experience. Since my wife injured her back a little over a year ago (2 ruptured discs and 1 bulging disc) I've been giving her "lifts" everyday...basically picking her up just above her waist and letting her hang there (helps stretch out her back...basically it just feels good I guess)...so as long as she gets her lifts she's happy :happy: Now, if I can no longer give the lifts, then a couple things might happen: 1)She thinks I've gotten weak, and she mocks me; 2)my inability to lift her implies (even remotely) that she's gained weight...you see where this is going. She's a little thing though, so no worries.

I'm rambling...blah blah blah...mmmm pepper jack....ooh, drunken goat gouda is the bomb!

Ted
Old 05-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #8
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Since I am a wife AND I make homemade cheese (milk the goats myself) I wonder if I am allowed to chime in on this thread???

:uhoh:

Congrats Bill. I think it is true that those we know most intimately, we often overlook telling them how awesome we think they are. We sort of think they should know it somehow - maybe by osmosis? Anyway, you all reminded my husband how much I love him and he sent me an email of appreciation due to this thread. Or maybe that was the cheese I made last time???
Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Ditto what Beth said - down to milking and cheesemaking! :biggrin:

Old 05-12-2005, 05:56 AM   #10
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
I think you've got it Beth. Been married 17 years. I've found my wife generally thinks I'm awesome and expects that I know she thinks it. She's happy for me if I solve the case, land the big trout, keep from gluing my fingers together fixing her china, etc. but she EXPECTS me to be awesome at these. It's when I do something well that they don't expect, or receive acclaim from others, that her recognition is verbalized again.

Example A: My wife has seen me deadlift before and the initial awe has subsided until:
1) I win a national contest (not likely).
2) The cute 30-something divorcee from the gym tells her that she was watching me lift and how strong I am. (Last week - instant interest, intense discussion with me, etc.)

Example B: While driving down the road in Indiana I encountered an Emu running in traffic. I managed to chase it down, corner it, pick it up without getting kicked, and carry it back to the farmer's yard where I deposited it over the fence. It was physical, funny and novel, so she and our daughters all talked me up over it. ((Extra sensitivity points for rescuing animals and not eating the bird.)

I guess in the daily grind we forget to tell people we love how much we ARE impressed with their physical attributes or character. I figure if I keep up this CFit insanity I will keep adding things to surprise them with.