CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Michael Langanke

Profile:
Metcon meaning

Probably a stupid question but wondering if a Metcon WOD is just rowing,running type exercise or can it include a combination of running, bodyweight and/or weight?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: Metcon meaning

Yes. Metabolic Conditioning. Move fast over a period of time.

Weighted, unweighted, heavy, what ever.

Monostructural is fine when done with intensity, IMO combinations are better.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Michael Langanke

Profile:

Thanks Marcus.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
John A. Smith

Profile:

What are those funny acronyms and abbreviations you guys use? (wfs)
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
adam adkins

Profile:

If you just want to know what the abbreviation means, as stated, metcon= metabolic conditioning.

If you are interested in what metabolic conditioning actually is you can google Arthur Jones, who is often credited with developing the style of training while conditioning football players at Army. He went on to start Nautilus which if you are my age you recognize as one of the biggest names in fitness during the 80's.

All the athletes Jones trained were very strong and could run all day. But Jones noticed athletes suffered some form of systemic shutdown when heavy strength components were combined with an elevated cardio stress. So he developed workouts that combined strength efforts with elevated cardio stress. Genius huh? It is training, not rocket surgery.

Jones likely wasn't the first to do it and he probably was just advancing Peripheral Heart Activity training which was detailed decades earlier. (Read all of John McCallum's articles, you can buy a book of all of them and it is worth it.)

Crossfit now somehow gets credit for inventing the metcon, and good for them for re-popularizing it, but it has been the way most athletes have been trained - at least to a certain extent - since the 40's. Not a knock against CF. They did an amazing job of rescuing the style from the Nautilus machine circuits of the 80-90's. The just didn't invent it - ironically, the guy that invented Nautilus arguably invented it and Nautilus arguably ruined it. Odd how things work sometimes.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
The just didn't invent it - ironically, the guy that invented Nautilus arguably invented it and Nautilus arguably ruined it. Odd how things work sometimes.
Usually due to greed/money?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

Interesting stuff, Adam.

As for nautilus circuits, it annoys the hell out of me when people look at a CF triplet with like Front squats, burpees, and pullups, and goes "yeah, I do workouts like that!" and then point to their circuit that has curls and calf raises in it. You just don't get the same effect.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Adam and Dave bring up some interesting points.

Do you guys feel people could benefit by having more of the traditional Nautilus workouts instead or mixed in with the typical CF metcons?

When I mean traditional Nautilus, I'm thinking about the stuff Casey Viator did and stuff they did at West Point or similar to

20 Rep Squat
15 Rep Stiff Legged Deadlift
Weighted Chin 6-10 reps
Weighted Dip 6-10 reps
Midback Row 8-12 reps
Overhad Press 8-12 reps

Do this with minimal to no rest, taking sets to failure.

I think some of the key differences is that CF Metcons push for speed and power in a metcon and nautilus focused more on strength while both worked muscular endurance to some extent. I also think some CF Metcons the weight is relatively light to ones 1RM compared to old school nautilus.

Or is mixing heavy weights in metcons a quick road to overtraining? Or just using heavy metcons in general all the time the limiting factor?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Adam and Dave bring up some interesting points.

Do you guys feel people could benefit by having more of the traditional Nautilus workouts instead or mixed in with the typical CF metcons?

When I mean traditional Nautilus, I'm thinking about the stuff Casey Viator did and stuff they did at West Point or similar to

20 Rep Squat
Weighted Chin 6-10 reps
Weighted Dip 6-10 reps
Midback Row 8-12 reps
Overhad Press 8-12 reps

Do this with minimal to no rest, taking sets to failure.

I think some of the key differences is that CF Metcons push for speed and power in a metcon and nautilus focused more on strength while both worked muscular endurance to some extent. I also think some CF Metcons the weight is relatively light to ones 1RM compared to old school nautilus.

Or is mixing heavy weights in metcons a quick road to overtraining? Or just using heavy metcons in general all the time the limiting factor?
couple of things:

First, that is a fine workout and could fit in to almost anyone's programming.

Second, I think everyone could benefit from a little more strength training. I think virtually everyone should program heavy + metcon. Keep heavy very heavy but submaiximal (always leave one in the tank sort of thing) and metcon reasonable (I like 12 minutes but that is arbitrary) and overtraining shouldn't be an issue.

Also, I am not sure I see the difference in what Jones was doing and the CF style workouts.

As for Viator, he was an elite bodybuilder training with a very specific goal. We can certainly take some things from his training style and clearly CF has but I wouldn't advocate marathon 3 or 4 hour sessions for anyone.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
Pär Larsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
20 Rep Squat
Weighted Chin 6-10 reps
Weighted Dip 6-10 reps
Midback Row 8-12 reps
Overhad Press 8-12 reps
Sorry to butt in on you guys' very interesting conversation, but why would you want to reduce the ROM and number of joints involved in a lift?

I.e., why do stiff legs when you can get the legs in there? Why do a static row (I presume) when you can do a full-ROM row? Sounds like the old "you gotta isolate the muscle for maximum burn bro" stuff to make yourself big. I'd rather be a well-rounded athlete, but if bodybuilding is your thing more power to you.

Overhead Press excepted - seems a good way to train up for HSPU's. Which I hate, and contend aren't a natural exercise, but I digress.

As for Nautilus stuff and people talking about globo gym machines/circuits - anything that gets anyone off any couch is a good thing in my book. Hell, badminton for ten minutes/week is better than nothing.

On Metcons - seems most CF workouts end up being metcon workouts eventually. Someone turned both of these into metcons:

21-15-9
One-armed thrusters 95#
One-armed pullups

30 One-armed C&J 135#

Last edited by Pär Larsson : 06-08-2011 at 08:23 AM.