CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-24-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Stacy Junio

Profile:  
Hi. I'm new to crossfit. I was introduced to the program by my personal trainer. Some of the posts I've read give me the impression that the crossfit style of training and training for endurance sports may conflict. Can anyone enlighten me on the best way to combine the two?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
They conflict if you exclude your long work and continue to race at long distances. If you supplement your LSD work with CrossFit workouts you will become stronger and faster than you would without the CF workouts. Don't try and do a half or full Ironman with CF only training.

Exactly how you supplement your endurance work with the much more intense CF training will depend quite a bit on the type of racing you do. You said endurance but that is not specific enough. Are you a marathoner, triathlete, cyclist or what?

Old 07-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
Stacy, first off, welcome! It's good to have some more endurance sport folks around here.

Second, listen to what Eugene has to say. He's the de facto expert here at mixing endurance training and CF work.

Third, coming from a triathlon background, I can tell you that for me there was no mixing of LSD and CF for the first 3-4 months after I started here. For me it was simply a matter of being too worn out from the WOD to put in any extended time on the road, trainer, or pool. I'm now starting to supplement my WOD work with sport specific training. However, I'm keeping the volume somewhat lower than I have in the past. I've found that the power and cardio-respritory (sp?) endurance I've gained from CF have significantly helped me in my sport specific disciplines without the need for extended LSD type training.

That being said, Eugene is absolutely correct. If your goal is an Ironman or 1/2 IM tri (assuming you're a triathlete), or a marathon or 1/2 marathon (assuming you're a runner), you'll need to spend time doing LSD work to get your body prepared for the time demand that will be placed on it.

Again, welcome, and I hope that helps. Post questions often and you'll find that the people in this community can provide as much help and advice as you are willing to take in!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Zach Davis

Profile:
Coach Glasssman had some great things to say on this subject, over the weekend, at the certification seminar.

Essentially, an endurance athlete has the ability to train their body in specificity, for a relatively indefinite amount of time. The mode through which this happens, though, is largley through canibalization of other power and strength capacities in the body.

As eugene and Nicholas have mentioned above, some combination of LSD training, specific to the orthopedic requirments of your sport and the CrossFit program will be necessary. The right combination becomes a question of what price you are willing to pay for specificity.

Take for instance my pursuit; snowboard mountaineering. Some of the most accomplished, strong mountaineers in the world are woefully lacking in upper body, lean muscle mass. They tend to have enormous legs, sufficient back strangth, and a slight belly. (Not all of them, but many.) I fit that model right now, though I am working my butt off to change it, because I've decided that I can accomplish what I want to in the mountaineering world without setting myself up for health problems related to upper-body obesity, later in life. I've decided that I would rather make my mark on a few technically challenging routes than to go for a ton of easier routes... less specialization = greater overall fitness = healthier, longer life.

Zach
Old 07-25-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Stacy Junio

Profile:  
Thanks for the input. Eugene, I am a triathlete currently in training for a full distace triathlon in November.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
Joe Marsh

Profile:
I want to thank everyone for helping Stacy out. Stacy has been working with me for about a year, and she was introduced to Crossfit a little after I was. I am hoping that she will find all of the info she needs here on the boards. She is hoping to compete in the IM in Hawaii in Nov, and later the IM in AZ. Eugene, I have always found you to be full of great information and would like to extend my gratitude for your help.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:45 AM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Stacy - You've qualified for Hawaii? OMG - the World Series, the Masters, the big Kahuna, the Holy Grail of triathlon. I envy that wonderful opportunity.

There are lots of posts here from me and from others on long distance work and on reading you can do to learn how to train properly. Maffetone, Friel, Scott...lots of good sources. Use the search function for my name and or triathlon and you'll find lots of stuff. If you have specific questions I'll be glad to help.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
Stacy Junio

Profile:  
Thanks for the help. Don't get too excited about Hawaii. It was a lottery spot and I've decided to give it up until next year. I'm not quite ready for my debut in Hawaii. Perhaps after a year of CrossFit...
Old 07-26-2006, 08:18 AM   #9
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
Holy cow! I completely missed the reference to IM-Hawaii in Joe's post. As I was finishing my one and only IM in Florida last year, I made a promise to myself that I was only going to do that again if I managed to qualify for Hawaii. Given my abilities (or lack thereof) in each discipline, I'm fairly confident that I won't be qualifying for the world championships anytime soon!

Congrats on qualifying Stacy!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #10
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
Oops! Delayed posting. I didn't see your response before I posted mine.

So, are you still planning on IM-AZ in April '07? What about the Silverman in Las Vegas? I've heard that it's a brutal course, but also received rave reviews from those that took part last year.