CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Deadlift Form

Yes we can find videos of all types of deadlifts often done by awesome deadlifters.

Regardless of what you see, you have to figure out what works best for you without hurting your body. Some guys can do a back dominant deadlift and move a lot of weight without injury. Other can get a lot out of a more squat movement. And many blend the two.

So a high hip start might be great for some but for many it will compromise them. It depends on their body types and relative muscle strengths.

Watching the OP's post, a slightly lower hip position may help him, he needs to try and see. If after some practice, it feels awkward and he can't pull as much then he may have to tweak it differently.

Brian Shaw kicks butt. Most deadlifters would disagree with his stance width. The video of Hawthorn talking about deadlift setup would most likely disagree with Shaw's stance. But you won't know what's right until you get your hands on the bar and try it.

Again, I'm not sure why folks are upset when some of us suggested some small changes. I feel he has too much of his body in front of the bar (look at how his knees get in the way on the eccentric) and could benefit from trying to get more of himself behind it. He should try it and if if feels like dirt, drop it and go back to the current method.

Many ways to skin a cat.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
BrandonSmith

Profile:

I would say that it looks good, but maybe try to lower but a but if it is not burning in your hamstrings, when you feel that hamstring burn that makes you want to stand, that's when you should lift.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #13
Zach Summers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Yes we can find videos of all types of deadlifts often done by awesome deadlifters.

Regardless of what you see, you have to figure out what works best for you without hurting your body. Some guys can do a back dominant deadlift and move a lot of weight without injury. Other can get a lot out of a more squat movement. And many blend the two.

So a high hip start might be great for some but for many it will compromise them. It depends on their body types and relative muscle strengths.

Watching the OP's post, a slightly lower hip position may help him, he needs to try and see. If after some practice, it feels awkward and he can't pull as much then he may have to tweak it differently.

Brian Shaw kicks butt. Most deadlifters would disagree with his stance width. The video of Hawthorn talking about deadlift setup would most likely disagree with Shaw's stance. But you won't know what's right until you get your hands on the bar and try it.

Again, I'm not sure why folks are upset when some of us suggested some small changes. I feel he has too much of his body in front of the bar (look at how his knees get in the way on the eccentric) and could benefit from trying to get more of himself behind it. He should try it and if if feels like dirt, drop it and go back to the current method.

Many ways to skin a cat.
This is an excellent post.

I am just suffering from information overload haha You see one set of coaching points, then another, and another.

You just gotta try different ways and see what works best for you.