CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Timothy Zielinski

Profile:
Light-headed

I have been getting light-headed lately, especially after hard workouts. It is bad enough to where I have to sit down and stop. I have gotten light headed on workouts before, but these seem to last a long time. Sometimes the whole day. I didn't workout for the past 10 days because of this issue, some days I didn't workout and still got light headed. I thought it must be a diet issue but the only thing I changed in my diet is I no longer eat bread. I am eating pretty strict paleo.

Any ideas of what could be going on?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Light-headed

Dehydration?
Holding your breath?
Max effort lifts?

There's lots of stuff....

May be useful to provide more info or do a search for existing threads (like at the bottom fo this page) that may contain more information.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Are you eating enough? Many people who go strict paleo put themselves into a calorie deficit without meaning to, and lack of food and/or temporary low blood sugar will definitely cause light-headedness.

Katherine
Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

A multitude of medical problems and a wide array of different medicines can cause light headedness.

Getting light headed during or right after a workout is not uncommon. Getting lightheaded and having to sit down on days when you don't workout is another thing all-together. Being light headed all day shoots up red flags for me.

Do you have any ongoing medical issues?
Are you on any medications?
How old are you?
Are you in good health?
When was the last time you had a physical?
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Calin Brierley

Profile:

its really easy to be feeling that way, if you arent drinking enough water or eating right. proper hydration and nutrition might be the answer you need. if not see a doctor before you push your body to far.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor

Timothy, I have the same issue; for me, the level of light-headedness depends on the level of intensity involved in the preceding activity. I believe this may have something to do with blood pooling in the legs (the body's largest muscles) after vigorous exercise. For example, I'll get light-headed after a really intense bike ride or indoor cycling class, but not after a step class After engaging in the two former activities, I always lie on my back and elevate my feet for about ten minutes afterward...after I wake up I'm as good as gold

I learned about this phenomenon in a "bicycle racer's handbook" of some sort written in the late '70s, and it seems to work for me. Just a thought.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

whats up tim! i'm from madison heights.

i'd like to know how long you've been doing crossfit for. if you're relatively new, just scale everything down. the intensity, weight, time duration...anything you need to be scaled.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Timothy Zielinski

Profile:

I have been feeling better lately. I did go to the doctor for different tests and I am awaiting the results. I don't think they will find anything, they said I seem pretty healthy. I really think it was something with diet. I am pretty sure I was eating enough because I wasn't getting hungry. Could it possibly be that I wasn't eating enough fats? I have noticed that many people on the paleo / zone diet cut their carbs in half and double their fats.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Zielinski View Post
I have been feeling better lately. I did go to the doctor for different tests and I am awaiting the results. I don't think they will find anything, they said I seem pretty healthy. I really think it was something with diet. I am pretty sure I was eating enough because I wasn't getting hungry. Could it possibly be that I wasn't eating enough fats? I have noticed that many people on the paleo / zone diet cut their carbs in half and double their fats.
Could be.

Altering your diet can produce certain physiological phenomena.