CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-11-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
Charlie Armour

Profile:
i have read a few of the threads on shoulder injuries and would like some advice on my situation...

i have done 'weights' with some exposure to oly for about 15 years (35 years olds)...started crossfit about 4 months ago and doing WOD regularly...have found sharp pain now occurring in front of shoulder area...my shoulder flex is very poor and am working on this with dislocates...i have also been doing handstand holds and freestanding handstands everyday as well as the kipping pullups included in the CFWU....

my question is, do handstands work all parts of the shoulder and as such can i rule this exercise out for having caused a possible imbalance in strength between the posterior and anterior parts of the shoulder (this appears in other threads as a likely cause of pain)....i feel the pain when doing kipping pullups but only initially, not once warm....the pain and weakness is then evident in the shoulder post workout....

any advice would be really appreciated....my plan of attack is rest (have had a week off and its killing me!), along with dedicated stretching, more thorough shoulder warm up, and some rear deltoid specific work such as db seated rows....

the back pain occurred during heavy shoulder press....pain was instant and stopped workout, in between shoulder blades....possibly disc related?? is it fair to say this may be a shoulder flexibility related issue also??

thanks in advance
Old 11-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
Probably the two most popular tissues to hurt in the front of the soulder would be the rotator cuff tendinous insertion point and the biceps tendon. Unhappy tendons usually feel better after they're warmed up, but the fact that you have pain later indicates there is a problem. A lot of us are walking around with some shoulder issues from previous bad habits, even if we're presently doing everything correctly.

Heat/ice, friction massage, more thorough WU, or you could actually see a professional.

Probably not a disc in your back unless your form is absolutely atrocious. Again, just a guess, but could be acute overload of your scapular stabilizers, possibly some spinal facet joint irritation.

Have someone qualified check your form on overhead work.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
hey charlie, i have been dealing with a similar situation on and off now for the past 3 months. my right shoulder starting hurting after doing a lot of kipping pull-ups one day. same sort delayed pain in the front of the shoulder. i also began to feel pain back in the shoulder blade area as you described, however mine was not triggered by any specific motion.

my trainer believes i have some sort of tendonitis...supscapularis tendonitis, and possibly infraspnatis tendonitis.

do you feel tightness in your rear delts/and or shoulder blade area? i found that using heat and lying on a tennis ball putting pressure on the painful area in my rear shoulder helped...also rest rest rest! oh also you mentioned seated rows, those really helped me too. definitely see a professional if you aren't feeling better soon. best of luck!
Old 11-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Charlie Armour

Profile:
thanks all, i feel quite tight through the traps but not so much the rear delts...form isnt tooo bad on press but felt it (whatever 'it' was!) go...rest is frustrating me big time...i know i should though....

thanks again for the advice
Old 11-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
recommend checking out trigger point therapy (do a search on the board) and getting a Theracane. Has done wonders for my shoulder tendonitis. Basically, a lot of these exercises work muscles that aren't ready for it causing them to store waste products and remain perpetually sore. I found trigger points that must have dated back at least 3 months and were as sore as if I'd abused them yesterday.