CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Steven Low

Profile:
Not an injury per se but I have noticed that the left side of my lower back is much stronger and more hypertrophied than my right side. On that note, I'm pretty sure my right glute is much stronger than my left. I didn't give it much thought until now but I decided to unilateral work to try to see what was up. Basically I ended up doing pistol broad jumps.

pistol broad jumps: 5x5

More or less made 10m on all of the jumps. It seems like my limit.

I can now pinpoint the source of my back. It does seem like my left glute is weaker than my right while my left lower back is stronger than my right. I was consistently getting about ~1-2 feet longer with my right leg while my left back was working much harder than my right. And this is with my left leg going first for all of the sets. I can still tell because 5 minutes later it feels like my left back has DLed 5x5 heavy while my right back is not fatigued at all.

So basically I need a bit of help on either exercises or what have you I can do to help fix this problem.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Re: Lower back/glute imbalance

Have you tried doing any one legged stuff. eg one legged squats or step ups. Try doing leg curls one leg at a time. One legged leg presses ie one side at a time. They can often be quite telling!

Be careful when you do any of this stuff to keep yourself stable, hips must be level and STAY level when doing these, don't let yourself drop on one side and don't compensate by leaning to one side. A good way to learn one legged squats is to do it against a wall. Fold a towel up and place it at your knee and against the wall, then slide down keeping that knee against the wall.

If you have trouble with any of this maybe see a physio. You may need to work on your transversus abdominus (core) and gluteus medius/minimis (the crab).
Old 08-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, one leg curls are probably out of the question since I don't have access to a gym. All I got is myself and about 270 lbs of weights on a not-olympic bar and rings.

One leg squats are pretty easy (hence why I'm doing pistol broad jumps for unilateral work), so I'll try them against a wall. I'm pretty sure I'm not dropping to sone side or leaning because I do them straight up and down, but I'll try them to see what's going on.

What exercises would you recommend for transversus abs and glutes that I could work on. Isolating lower back is kind of a blower since it doesn't work that well, lol.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Steven, do you have any bands? You could probably rig up a leg curl with bands secured to the floor somehow.

A check by a chiro or physio might also be helpful to rule out/fix any structural imbalance.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Nope, no bands.

I'll try to get it checked out.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Just a thought, but, if those one legged broad jumps are fatiguing the one side, then would it be possible to just work the one side in the exercises that fatigue it? Probably not too helpful, but it's all I've got.

Is the imbalance related to that pommel horse injury you mentioned a while back?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Not sure about that. I do know that the spinal erector on the right side is like cut in half. It's weird, but I don't think that should interfere with hypertrophy and strength... or maybe it can.

Anyway, if I do unilateral work only on one side it will cause the problem to be a bit worse probably. For example, if I only did right side yes it would bring my right lower back up most likely but it would also do that to the right glute too which is already stronger & bigger than the left. I have to basically find something that will work both sides at the same time well.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
Steven Bourdage

Profile:

The glutes are an extremely important and powerful muscle that is related to the alignment and biomechanics of the lumbar spine. If one side is much weaker than the other you should see a chiro or PT to balance the issue. Not only fir making your lifts better and stronger, but also to prevent injury down the road.

You may also have a GAIT issue relating from a flat arch or two in your feet. That is pretty common in my practice and just from correcting something as simple as that can make a huge change.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #9
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Its quite hard to get the hang of the correct form for the t/a etc exercises I reckon, without having a proper physio take you through it. It just quite hard to explain. It involves being able to tighten the band of muscle that sits across from the iliac crest on each side and down to the pubis (so its a triangle of muscle which contracts horizontally - if you get my drift! Easiest way I had it explained to me was to try and contract it almost from the inside - almost a pelvic floor type of thing. For women my physio said "Imagine you're pulling a penis inside you!" ) Not sure about the male equivalent!

You should be able to do all this and still breathe normally. Plus then there's the glute stuff. The crab exercise I mentioned before.

I think it would be worth getting a proper assessment - could even be a leg length thing? As the other guy said, down the track you never know what it may be setting you up for by way of injury.