CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Anyone got a definitive guide to fish oil?

Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone has a guide as to what type to take, whether you should switch types at different times of the year and how much you should take.

Many thanks

J
Old 05-27-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Re: Anyone got a definitive guide to fish oil?

Mark's Daily Apple's Definitive Guide to Fish Oil: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fish-...#axzz1w42XJ393 (wfs)
Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

pretty much one thing you need to look out for - high percentage EPA/DHA content. (mine are 950mg EPA&DHA per 1360mg fish oil pill). Otherwise, it is just an argument on the quality of the oil.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Thanks guys. Some people talking about switching fish types for the winter etc.

There is also some talk about increasing the risk of stroke and internal bleeding when taking more then 3gms of DHA.

I've got high strength and high purity in these http://www.barleans.com/fishoil.asp so I guess I'll just stick to them.

I've been taking a high does - about 15-20 a day for a shoulder injury (inflammation) and it's working a treat.

J
Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Greg Pack

Profile:

Is the Costco/Kirkland brand still considered acceptable? I've not heard or seen anything negative. They now advertise 300 mg EPA/DHA in the 1000 mg. capsule. Perhaps not the most calorie efficient source....
Old 05-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pack View Post
Is the Costco/Kirkland brand still considered acceptable? I've not heard or seen anything negative. They now advertise 300 mg EPA/DHA in the 1000 mg. capsule. Perhaps not the most calorie efficient source....
Based on 3000mg EPA/DHA per day... the price per day ($0.28) and days per bottle (40 for the 400ct bottle) are great, but 10 pills per day would be too much for me, personally.

I've said it before and will probably say it again, NOW Foods' Ultra Omega 3 is the best choice, for me. 4 pills per day for 3g EPA/DHA, and on the lower end of the cost spectrum at $0.47 per day. Oh, and a 180-pill bottle lasts 45 days.

Dan