CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Maryjo Faust

Profile:
Red face Former athlete, cancer survivor, very out of shape questions...

Hello all,
Wanted to say, I'm new to the board and have been loving all that I've been reading and I wanted to throw my hat into the mix with a few questions. I'll give a bit of background first.

I'm a former Division 1 college athlete. I threw shot put, discus, and 20 lb weight. Ending my college athletics career was a bout with cancer, which I have now been 11 years cancer free. But what came with all this was a few surgeries, and a bunch of me being out of shape. I have had shoulder surgery, ankle surgery, and have a 18 inch zipper scar from the lymphoma removal on my abdomen.

I grew very much out of shape, and am a big girl, but am not grossly 'fat', but the scale, or my BMI does tell another story.

Before beginning Crossfit at my local crossfit affiliate box, I began with calorie restriction to about 2000, then going to 1500 calories and I lost about 20 lbs, then since beginning crossfit I lost another 15 lbs -- this all being a total of about 35 lbs in a month and a half.

About a week and a half ago I began Paleo. I have noticed that my energy levels are up with this diet, as with my calorie restriction I was eating basically Boca, and non-meats, yogurts, etc. This type of eating (paleo) seems to fit my lifestyle much better than the veggie-type eating I was doing before. I had very little energy.

But, since beginning Paleo I have not lost anymore weight. I have been crossfitting for about a month now 4x per week. I have been on Paleo for a week and a half. I feel good, but I have not seen the weight loss continue. My coach, who is awesome, says that we will reevaluate after 2 total weeks on Paleo. I definitely have the weight to lose, so that's a non-issue.

So my questions are as follows:
Do you generally see a slow start to Paleo? I know it's usually the opposite. Am I seeing this lag because I had that big weight loss in the beginning?

Continuing with Paleo, and with Crossfit I understand my weightloss will slow, but what is a reasonable goal for each month if I've got serious weight to lose?

I look forward to working out in the AM and PM in the summertime, do you all have any suggestions about how to go about with days on/off? etc when working out this often in one day? in order to maximize weightloss?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions... in advance.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Former athlete, cancer survivor, very out of shape questions...

1500 calories is not very many for an active person of any above average size. You shouldn't have to starve yourself to lose weight. At 1500 calories with 4 workouts a week you could be looking at cortisol issues or your body going into famine mode and clinging on to fat.

Weight loss is far from the end all, be all. You can add muscle and burn fat simultaneously, especially if you are coming from a fairly inactive state, and the scale won't recognize those changes. Just be patient--a week and a half isn't a very long time--and keep aiming for performance gains while eating good food in large enough quantities.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Maryjo Faust

Profile:

Oh, I'm definitely NOT eating 1500 calories now. This is how I was eating before and when I first started crossfitting, and I had VERY little energy. Since switching to Paleo, I have been eating more meats, veggies, and fruits and way more calories -- i've actually stopped counting, but not overeating. My energy levels are sky high now. I have been feeling great, but my weight loss has stopped... Just wondering possibly why.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

As I said before don't let your weight determine your happiness or whether you think you're making progress. Go by performance metrics, how your clothes fit, what you see in the mirror, etc. You could very easily be getting leaner while staying the same weight or even gaining a little bit.

As for possible cortisol issues, check these out (WFS)
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cortisol/
http://whole9life.com/2009/11/cortis...-crossfitters/