CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-10-2004, 06:33 AM   #1
Aaron Lozier

Profile:  
Hi ive been doing crossfit stuff in the winter during indoor track. Through most of the work outs ive seen there hasn't been a lot of sprint workouts. If i remember correctly in the free crossfit journal it says that crossfit is striving for the conditioning and skills of a sprinter, a wieghtlifter, and a gymnast. But I keep on seeing a lot of high rep stuff that it seems all it does is make me sore. One of the main reasons why i dropped crossfit right before indoor in favor of Pavel's PTP was because i wasnt sore for practice but my times went way down and my lifts went way up. For example whrn i was on crossfit i couldnt break 5:00 mile indoors even though i did last year. The week that i got PTP the meet i had that weekend my time dropped to 4:43 and the next 2 meets were 4:38 and 4:37. I guess the point I am trying to make is that I find that the crossfit system of doing a lot of high reps has just made me sore and the workouts dont really blend the three elements. A lot of rambling but i would like people's input.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:16 AM   #2
Scott McAndrews

Profile:

First, I have to admit that I do not practice the crossfit workouts full time so I cannot speak from lots of experience. However, this topic, i.e., the use of mostly high reps both on lifts like hang cleans and deadlifts and the dreaded pullup and handstand pushups, is something that I have wondered about myself. When I have done the WOD's that include high reps, I too end up sore for several days afterward. Also, I often have to utilize negitive reps on the pullups to complete a set. My questions are: are the high reps used more as a conditioner and should one adjust the weight so that they can complete the set without breaks and for body weight exercises that one cannot complete the required number of reps, what is the most "acceptable" strategy, breaking sets down into multiple lower rep sets, negitive reps, or changing the goal reps to one that is more attainable? Wow that's probably a classic example of a run-on sentence! Sorry to all the English teachers out there! Thanks for any ideas.:happy:
Old 04-10-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
Aaron Lozier

Profile:  
Besides metabolic conditioning what purpose do high reps serve?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:28 AM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Aaron,
There are a number of reasons why high reps would be used. First of all, life isn't just one-rep or one exertion. You sometimes have to exhibit strength under duress or fatigue.
Another reason is that it can enhance recovery. High intensity exercise (above ~70% intensity) is anti-circulatory, because the tension in your muscles restricts bloodflow. Hence the "pump". Low intensity exercise is circulatory in nature, which can help clean out waste, transfer nutrients, etc.
Also, as a result of being circulatory, it helps develop capillary beds, which is a good thing. This has a number of benefits, including some obscure things. One such obscurity is that it raises the remperature around neurons, which lowers electrical resistance. This allows more muscle fibres to behave like fast twitch fibers during high-intensity efforts.
However, you don't want to take it too far. If you start training like a marathon runner, conversion of fiber types is possible and you will end up with more slow twitch muscles. Occasional low intensity efforts are good, though, and will not effect any fiber composition changes.
See what you can learn in biology! Hehe, it's saturday night and I'm studying...and listening to Prokofiev's piano concertos! Somebody pass me a beer, please!!

Tyler
Old 04-11-2004, 07:03 AM   #5
Aaron Lozier

Profile:  
Thank you Tyler for better explaining this to me.
What if crossfit did higher reps w/ the more gymnastic movements such as HSPUs, pushups, pullups and so forth? How would this manner of doing high reps take away from the over all fitness that is desired by those who do the WOD?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:29 AM   #6
John Frazer

Profile:
Aaron,

You don't think Crossfit does high reps with gymnastic movements? :wink: You must be one heck of a gymnast, by my standards it sure does include some high reps!

My advice is that if you are sore for days and can't complete any of the sets unbroken, is to reduce the weight. My understanding is the loads are based on athletes who have been doing these lifts for a while. I cut the weight in half to start any unfamiliar movement, then add 5-10 pounds next time.

Good luck with track!

John
Old 04-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #7
Aaron Lozier

Profile:  
Im sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say was to cut out the high reps w/ weights amd rather do only high reps w/ gymnastic type movements.