CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-01-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:
Nutrition and Cancer (Cancer Prevention)

Hi All,

After much studying, reading posts, surfing, etc. I've come to understand the importance of insulin control. Usually I've read information about how diet affects obesity, blood pressure, etc. are the health ailments addressed. I've used the information to reach the best fitness of my life. However, I'm currently looking for more detailed information about diet and cancer. There is a personal reason for this that I will not go into, but, I am in search of some good information about how diet can affect one's risk of cancer. I'm looking to inform and persuade a loved one to change eating habits, but I'd like to have something solid, rather than, "I've HEARD that this is what you should do and why..."

Thanks in advace!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Nick Hanson

Profile:
Re: Nutrition and Cancer (Cancer Prevention)

Patrick - try this: http://*************/?p=18 wfs

Also, insulin control is primarily related to all inflammatory diseases. Anyway hope that helps.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Todd A Ferguson

Profile:

Hi Patrick
The studies into cancer & nutrition are mind-boggling so here is one aspect that might help you in your quest.
Anti-nutrients
From around 1950’s 3,500 man-made chemicals have found their way into the manufactured food from hormones to antibiotics in meats to grains, many of these chemicals are ‘anti-nutrients’ (AN) meaning they stop nutrients being absorbed & used, or promote excretion.
Many of today’s diseases are caused just as much by AN as by deficiency of nutrients. Approximately of all cancers are associated with AN, from cancer causing chemicals to excessive free radicals from drinking and smoking (just two examples) There comes a time in many people that the body is overwhelmed by these AN & toxins and it can no longer detoxify itself, these toxins start accumulating in faty tissue, common drugs from alcohol to painkillers become increasingly toxic, even once harmless by-products from the body processing carbohydrates accumulate & start causing muscular aches & fatigue.
I don’t know about the USA but in UK on an average year they get through 6 billion alcoholic drinks, 75 billion cigarettes 80 billion painkiller prescriptions and 50 million prescriptions for antibiotics. Plus 400 million litres of pesticides & herbicides are sprayed on food crops even you tap water becomes an issue
We are told that all these chemicals are safe…but over the years your body becomes a walking time bomb. You might even feel as though its just not worth the effort you would be wrong to think this, here are some tips & I am sure many people will give you loads more to sift through

How do you decrease the AN load on you body?
Invest in a good quality water filter
By organic, when not possible or for budget reasons wash or peel fruit and vegetables.
Never deep fry food steam or believe it or not microwave them (can’t wait for the replies to this one)
Don’t use cling film unless it states ‘non-PVC’
Drink alcohol very infrequently (The Good Book says ‘A Little wine is good for the stomach)& avoid smoking or smoky places.
Avoid medical drugs UNLESS they are the only viable option for treating a health problem. If u get frequent infections seek out the underlying cause rather than relying on painkillers or antibiotics.

Hope this helps ..........check out Robb Wolfs site it is very informative
Old 08-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Henry Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Buy organic
Not bad advice per-se, but what passes as organic, and when I would actually eat can be very different. Even with organc you still need to be careful.

Quote:
Never deep fry food steam or believe it or not microwave them (cant wait for the replies to this one)
I understand the deep fry. I don't see what is wrong with steam or microwave? (Microwave just steams the food. I've heard a lot of mumbo-jumbo about hot spots and the like, but that doesn't stand up to any basic look at the physics)
Old 08-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:

Check this guy out:
http://www.agri-dynamics.com/ WFS
He was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, given 6 months to live. He decided to treat with food..... and is fine......????
Old 08-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Todd A Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
I understand the deep fry. I don't see what is wrong with steam or microwave?
Sorry Henry that was my fingers being faster than my brain it should read...
Quote:
Never deep fry food, rather steam or believe it or not microwave them
Sorry again
Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Kyle Clayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd A Ferguson View Post
Sorry Henry that was my fingers being faster than my brain it should read...

Sorry again
You had me scared there for a second.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Henry Miller

Profile:

I wouldn't have made such a big deal about it myself, but I've heard anti-microsave comments from many people (not here), but when pressed nobody knows why - yet they won't admit they are wrong.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Todd A Ferguson

Profile:

OK the great mystery of the microwave (MW) & how it works. In MW cooking heat is generated within the food dramatically reducing cooking time (this is its main advantage) Inside every microwave is a magnetron converting electricity into MWs essentially visible, infrared & radio waves which are non-ionizing forms of radiation (not like x-rays these make you glow in the dark).
The MWs move through the food at hi speed 2450million cycles per second as it passes through the food to a depth of about 5cm it causes food molecules to vibrate and generate heat thus cooking the food faster e.g. Eggs as opposed to rice which takes longer as it has less water content.
In theory nutrient loss on MW cooking is less as the cooking times are shorter the little use of water. Early experiments found little difference between boiling, steaming & MW effects on vitamin C loss where about the same. But recent studies have shown that the microwave comes up trumps regarding vitamin C degradation in vegetables.
The bad press around microwaves comes from nutters removing the doors overriding the safety switch and cooking their hands as they removed food from it (normally in fast food joints.) & of course that famous urban legend about an old lady & her wet miniature poodle (Jay Cohen might be interested in that outcome )
It is prudent though to let the food rest for 2-3 minutes as the cells are still cycling and generating heat, this can cause burns.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Some of my very mainstream medicine oncologist friends tell their patients with hormone-sensitive tumors to avoid industrial-rasied meat--to stick to grassfed meats and dairy and free range chickens and eggs.

I have reasons to be eating "anti-cancer" as well and here's my program FWIW:

1. The base of my food pyramid is built on vegetables: lots of dark leafy greens and veggies in a wide range of colors.

2. Next is colorful fruits, especially berries.

3. Fish, lots of fish: I eat sardines, salmon, or herring most days of the week, also shellfish.

4. Grassfed meats, free range poultry and eggs.

5. Organic yogurt.

Supplements: Zyflamend and fish oil.

The most important things are to avoid processed foods and industrially-raised animals products.

Susie