CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: GoRuck Sandbag

I had just ordered my GoRuck sandbag when I commented before. Now I've had some use with it over the past two years.

At the time I ordered, the two insert bags were inlcuded. The filler bags hold 40# each... I think I filled them with pea gravel. I lined the bag with a contractor garbage bag, filled it to the correct weight, and tied off the garbage bag. The filler bags have a double velcro closure, and they close nice and snug. I've never had any problems with anything spilling out.

I made my own 10# filler bags by putting the gravel in a contractor bag and wrapping it tight with Gorilla tape. I've never had those leak either. I have three bags of 10#, so I can put in my sandbag 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, or 90#. If I have the two 40# bags in the sandbag, I can't get more than one of my 10# bags in there, so 90# is the limit. It's tough to get it zipped closed with more than one extra 10# bag. If you want more weight than that, you should go with the Rogue sandbag.

The durability of the GoRuck is fantastic. I like to do cleans, and drop the bag from shoulder height. I also run with the sandbag on my shoulders, and it gets tossed on the dirty ground while I'm still moving when I'm ready for a break. Everything on the sandbag is still intact - no damage whatsoever to straps, zippers, or fabric.

I like the design. There are straps all over this thing. Straps in the middle to clean it with two hands. Straps on the ends for dragging it.

If this is the weight range you're looking for, it is a fantastic piece of equipment.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #12
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
I had just ordered my GoRuck sandbag when I commented before. Now I've had some use with it over the past two years.

At the time I ordered, the two insert bags were inlcuded. The filler bags hold 40# each... I think I filled them with pea gravel. I lined the bag with a contractor garbage bag, filled it to the correct weight, and tied off the garbage bag. The filler bags have a double velcro closure, and they close nice and snug. I've never had any problems with anything spilling out.

I made my own 10# filler bags by putting the gravel in a contractor bag and wrapping it tight with Gorilla tape. I've never had those leak either. I have three bags of 10#, so I can put in my sandbag 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, or 90#. If I have the two 40# bags in the sandbag, I can't get more than one of my 10# bags in there, so 90# is the limit. It's tough to get it zipped closed with more than one extra 10# bag. If you want more weight than that, you should go with the Rogue sandbag.

The durability of the GoRuck is fantastic. I like to do cleans, and drop the bag from shoulder height. I also run with the sandbag on my shoulders, and it gets tossed on the dirty ground while I'm still moving when I'm ready for a break. Everything on the sandbag is still intact - no damage whatsoever to straps, zippers, or fabric.

I like the design. There are straps all over this thing. Straps in the middle to clean it with two hands. Straps on the ends for dragging it.

If this is the weight range you're looking for, it is a fantastic piece of equipment.
Thanks for the info. I do think the design of the handles on the GoRuck make it seem like a better option. It does end up being more expensive now that it doesn't come with any filler bags though. I've honestly not done much sandbag work at all. I was primarily planning to use it for weighted carries. Is 80-90lbs sufficient for that use, or do you think if that's my main plan I need it to possibly go heavier?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Honestly, 80-90# can feel a little light for carrying it on the shoulders and running, so I make the distances for the run longer. You can go for a while with 80-90#, like 400-800m per interval.

If you want a heavier burden run for a shorter distance (like 100-200m), then go for the heavier sandbag.

I think of the sandbag up to 90# for more metcon activities where the weight is lighter but you can keep moving and do more reps. For the different activites I use it for, the lighter sandbag suites my needs better. It feels too light for dragging (like this - wfs), but good for everything else I like to do.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #14
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Honestly, 80-90# can feel a little light for carrying it on the shoulders and running, so I make the distances for the run longer. You can go for a while with 80-90#, like 400-800m per interval.

If you want a heavier burden run for a shorter distance (like 100-200m), then go for the heavier sandbag.

I think of the sandbag up to 90# for more metcon activities where the weight is lighter but you can keep moving and do more reps. For the different activites I use it for, the lighter sandbag suites my needs better. It feels too light for dragging (like this - wfs), but good for everything else I like to do.
I live like a 5 minute walk from the gym. Was thinking about getting it and throwing it on my back for my walks to and from. More steady state cardio type stuff, not sure if I'll be running with it or trying to do lots of different activities. Sounds like I might be better off getting the heavy one to be safe though. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:16 AM   #15
Christopher Morris

Profile:

If you've got a barbell and bumpers at home you could test out the walk with some weight. Try it with 80# on a barbell on your shoulders, then try it with 160#. If shouldering the barbell is uncomfortable for that distance, roll a little towel to cushion on your traps.