CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-06-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

The Warrior Diet/Paleo hybrid is working out fabulously! I am leaning out very quickly. Also, I am maintaining muscle. My strength has actually increased; hit a new PR a few days ago with 20 pull ups. Tonight I am doing a Paleo refeed. To me, this means overeating on fat rather than carbs. Made a bunch of homemade nut butters tonight (Macadamia Nut+Brazil Nut, Almond, and my favorite - Macadamia+Coconut YUM! All nuts are raw), will be eating my share :-)

Yesterdays food intake is as follows:

Post workout - Sardines
Mid day snack(s) two small handfulls of almonds
Dinner - Large salad with Romaine,tomatoes, cucmbers, avocados and olive oil. 1-1/2 pounds of ground buffalo. Massive serving of mixed veggies (Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, yellow squash, and zucchini.)

Just wanted to update everyone on my progress.

-Jay
Old 01-06-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
Roy

Profile:

Nice Jay. I hit some personal records too:

Cleaned bodyweight

three chinups with 60 pounds of iron hanging from me.

Finally got the speed bag going really fast

Frontflip 900(2.5 twists) on trampoline landing in the same spot as takeoff.

I just started my "Crossfit diet." that is, 3 days meat, flax oil, and lettuce only, and the last three meals of the 4th day(rest day) being whole fruit and some meat. Too early to tell you much, other than the PR's. In fact, I havent even hit my first carb half day yet. I just started this on monday. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, the meat keeps me satisfied and the flax oil keeps my energy levels up.

Few questions for ya Jay:

What is Humilispuer?

What do you train for(any sports)?

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-07-2004, 06:01 AM   #3
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Roy,

Great to hear you're progressing well.

humilispuer is latin and stands for: humble boy

Right now I train to train. I love basketball/football/sprinting/powerlifting etc. - though I don't compete in any of them. I will be starting school at a local community college in about a week. Once I transfer to my local state university, I want to make the track&field team and sprint. Also, if my lifts keep going up, I would like to enter a PL contest.

Please, keep me updated on your progress. We are around the same age and in the same boat - to some extent. We can use the similarities to "feed" off one another.

-Jay
Old 01-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Jay,

Good job man, glad the diet's working for you, I had similar expeirences with it. Are you doing Crossfit WOD only right now? And a question, why the refeed of fats? Just curious.

J.D.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:45 AM   #5
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Depends on the day. Sometimes I'll supplement the WOD with other workouts, other times the WOD will be it.

For the 3 days before the fat refeed I had been eating very "skimpy." Not consciously, however, I was aware of it. Just wanted to make sure my metabolic rate kept humming along. Also, I wanted to see the effect it would have on performance/athleticism/physique. It did indeed raise my performance (Cleaned 160 at a BW of 148 - Not great, I know, but a PR for me). It did not seem to have an effect on my physique good or bad. Lastly, I made all that nut butter and wanted to go on an eating frenzy - thus, the fat refeed excuse was born! :-)

-Jay
Old 01-08-2004, 06:45 AM   #6
Roy

Profile:

Jay, How do you make nut butter? Do you just smash and grind the nuts for a while? Id like to make pecan butter.

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-08-2004, 07:24 AM   #7
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Roy,

I'm lucky enough to own a champion juicer:
www.championjuicer.com
It's a wonderful piece of equipment.

If you type in "Nut butter in a blender" at google.com - you will come up with a host of How-To articles. Here's the first one:
http://www.barryfarm.com/How_tos/how_to_nut_butters.htm
Most of the sites will reccomend toasted/roasted nuts. Personally, I only use raw. Pecan butter would be awesome! If you decide to make it, let me know how it turns out.

-Jay
Old 01-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
Roy

Profile:

Jay, I had to do something right away after reading that! So I made walnut butter(walnuts are all we have right now) 1 cup of walnuts, 1 and 2/3 tablespoon of olive oil. Blended and had to do more smashing with wax paper:

FABULOUS!

I was thinking using Flax oil next time, resulting in Omega 3 Butter. I might just use walnut oil for making walnut butter, though; makes sense?

Only con: Highly addictive. That cup of walnut butter is almost gone already, so I better watch it. I dont think I should bother with making pecan butter, in that case!

I thankyou for the idea Jay. That food processor looks like a miracle for this. I need to get me one of those. The blender didnt work to well. I had a vision of selling some Pecan and Walnut butter since they dont exist in my area. Thanks again man!

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-09-2004, 03:30 AM   #9
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Roy,

No problem - glad you enjoyed the stuff! As far as addiction goes, I know your pain. I took down half my jar of Macadami/Coconut butter, in around 2 hours :-)

Walnut butter for walnuts sounds like a plan. Flax has a bit of a nutty taste; it would probably go quite well with nuts. Problem is, then you'd have to worry about oxidation. You'd probably have to keep it in a light proof jar for safe measure.

-Jay