CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #31
Steven Anderson

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics CF hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Nice Blair. I feared writing up something like that just because I've got a lot more work now and am cutting back.

P.S. Steven I hope you're not doing a lot of the exercises ESPECIALLY the holds to failure.
No. For instance, on the tuck levers, I may hold for 20 seconds here, 15 there and so on. You do raise a question though. Would you reccommend GTG on these progressions throughout the day like Pavel reccommends with the pistols and the one-arms push-ups or taking a half hour to an hour and doing them at once in the morning or in the evening? Thanks Steven.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #32
Steven Low

Profile:

From what I've seen GTG with levers can work. GTG with planches.. not so much. Mainly because the muscle groups are smaller with planche and thus will get overworked very quickly.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #33
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

what about press to HS? GTG or once a day?
Progression from CF# 17 done with enough rest (concentration on skills) takes about 30-45 min when done once a day.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #34
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
what about press to HS? GTG or once a day?
Progression from CF# 17 done with enough rest (concentration on skills) takes about 30-45 min when done once a day.
Alexander, I was looking over your training log as Steven Low suggested, very impressive. I looked mainly at the first couple of pages and the last couple. Do you have the full levers down yet? How long did it take you to obtain the balance on the handstand away from the wall and the shoulder stand on the rings?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #35
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You can GTG with presses to handstand. My dad has quite a few of stories of Mr. Happy and pain as a kid on pommel. With myself though, it's been with inbar work on High Bar. Thus, I never have liked High bar too much.

One thing though, is that the falls on most of the other apparatus seem much easier to come out of versus pommel horse slip ups which tend to send you horizontal. Wrap the arms in and roll like a log.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe : 02-11-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: oops
Old 02-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #36
Austin Peck

Profile:

I just noticed you are from Sacramento Blair. I am going to UC Berkeley, so when I get better at some of this (at least the basics, seeing as I havent started yet lol) I should come out and have you show me some stuff.

This might also have to wait until next semester when I would possibly have a car depending on how many spaces are left in the draw for parking spots at the house.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #37
Mirza Besic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Peck View Post
I guess my other posts were kind of scatter brained, but basically I am asking this:

What should my work schedule be in my current situation:
1. I have access to the gymnastic gym Monday-Thursday from 8:00-10:30 PM
2. I have access to a normal gym at all times
3. I do not anticipate having enough time to do 2 and a half hours of gymnastics AND something else on Monday-Thursday, so I won't be able to do something in the morning then that gymnastics at night.

and with my current goals:
1. I am not looking to compete in gymnastics
2. I am doing this mostly for the upper body strength, coordination, and core strength that I will develop doing so, even if I never reach a level where I could even consider competeing.
3. However I am Looking to progress through the skills (basically taking my friend's advice and coaching on what to learn first etc)

So I am interested in which gymnastic events I should focus on, whether I should do strength type training when I am at the Gymastic practices, or just using my elite rings on a squat rack and doing HSPU against the wall at the gym during Friday-Sunday when I won't have access to the full gymnastics gym.

And what type of schedule would you propose? Working all of the events every day? Or doing certain ones each day to allow for some recooperation?
It seems to me that your trying to fit as much as you can into the time you have available. Although this isn't a bad thing, you may want to consider the following. Your training, especially in gymnastics and unless you have the genetics of a human freak of nature will take a LONG time to achieve anything. That's years for the "cool" phases of any of the holds etc such as stradle planche etc. So you have to really think of your training in progressive chunks, at which point doing a HYBRID type of workout may not be the most efficient. I think that if you were to cycle your workouts into several month chunks and go back and forth between gymnastics and heavy lifting you would benefit more.

I tried doing a hybrid workout, honestly it taxes your body to a very high extent if you SERIOUSLY try to tackle two types of workouts. Give a hybrid a try but if you plateou you might want to consider cycling your training. If your interested in gymnastics and your a beginer as you say it's a long road ahead anyways.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #38
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Steven, Thanks! yes I can hold F/B levers for few seconds. But I still do lots of partial holds as well. HS away from the wall... well, it was on and off for many months, only last 2-3 months it is more or less continuous practice, it is still work in progress and I guess it will stay for a long time. I am pretty sure anyone can do free-standing HS in a couple of weeks, but to do it with proper form and for extended time takes practice. I first reached 1 min standing with pretty bad shape, it was so hard!!! It is way easier with better form today. Last week achievement was to learn fully relax shoulders while pressing all the way up.
BTW yesterday I was able to do straight arms press to HS for the first time (only one time, was not able to repeat it yet), it is all in hips!!! if you bring them over far enough feet will leave the ground without any effort
Shoulder stand on rings is easy, took just 5 min of practice 2-3 days in a row and one more to learn to decent slowly from Shoulder stand to L-sit.
It is harder to do on home-style short straps rings.
I am not sure if it is a good idea to alternate gymnastics periods with lift periods. Except strength side there is also technique which is learned and maintained the best with continuous practice even for hardest moves. Take for example same shoulder stand, first time you do it you apply a lot of force to keep yourself in balance, once you did it a couple of times you will notice that you really need very little strength to do it properly.
Also I noticed that to have any kind of progress in planche/V-sit/Straddle I have to do them at least few times a week. maybe if a break is needed because of no progress, start working on other skills instead. There is so much to learn. I do not know who can have enough time for more than 2-3 apparatus per session. Out of 2 hours of practice my favorite rings take 70% of time in the gym, pommel horse/floor takes 30% (and there is much less progress on those). I believe there would be no progress at all if I divided my time for more than 2 events per practice. But maybe it is just me... if I can't do something from the first time (and I never can ) I will try again and again, until fatigue doesn't start to impact execution. Watch doesn't always dictate when i have to switch to another apparatus. Do you guys think it is the right way to do gymnastics?
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19

Last edited by Alexander Kornishev : 02-12-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #39
Steven Low

Profile:

Nice on the press Alexander. Get us a vid.

I agree with the 2 hours of practice though... it's very hard to accomplish much in a small amount of time unless you're extremely well conditioned that you have the endurance to take a turn every minute or two. Even with an hour you usually only get like 15-30 turns at most on an apparatus practicing so you have to make everything count. I think it's best you prioritize what you want to learn because there is significant overlap from at least apparatus to apparatus regarding basic swings and such.

As for working out... depends on what kind of hybrid you're doing. Heavy lifting + gymnastics probably won't work well unless you're extremely well conditioned. CF + gymnastics based strength work is effective. Gymnastics based strength + gymnastics metcons work extremely well.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #40
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Steven!
Press to HS Video I should have captured it yesterday, was not able to repeat it yet today. I will setup camera tomorrow, if any of my attempts is successful I will post it.