CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-01-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
mark ledesma

Profile:  
Hi. Name is Mark. Was directed to this website yesterday and couldn't stop reading for hours. I have never been so impressed by a fitness website.

A bit of background, I am 25 years old, 5'9" and have too much bodyfat. I've done various activities throughout my life, starting with wrestling in high school (I wasn't that good but it taught me the meaning of 'workout'), baseball, short distance running the last few years on and off (up to 5K distances).

My lifestyle is the problem. I have a penchant for beer and 'the fried stuff'. Anyways, not whining.

I noticed today was Fight Gone Bad day. I am not familiar with a lot of these motions so I decided to use an old WOD for my first day. 30 muscle-ups looked good. Of course I cannot do even one. So I substituted the 120 pullups and chins. On the Gravitron. I weigh 205. For pullups I used 130-150 of counterweight, for dips 100-110. I broke it down to sets of 10. I decided to stop after half an hour when I had done 100 of each.

I give you all of this detail to express my appreciation. This is the most no BS philosophy for overall fitness I have ever seen. My workouts up to now have been weights (bench, squat, pulldown, shoulder press, row) and 'cardio' 2-3 times a week. Just this one day of these 'gymnastic-style' (if I may) movements has been incredible. I instantly feel better, more 'worked-out'. This must be the 'neuroendocrine response'.

There is no doubt in my mind after reading your materials and attempting (at my low level) one of your WOD's. I cannot imagine the fitness one must possess to do 30 muscle-ups. This must truly be the best one can feel and the true idea of total performance.

We'll see how I hold up. But thanks in advance for running this site, I say again, by far the most sane and useful I have ever seen.

-ML
Old 12-01-2004, 09:19 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Hello and welcome Mark. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Welcome to Crossfit! As Jeff said, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:
Mark,

Welcome to CrossFit. Congratulations on diving right in with the workouts. Pay a visit to Ryan Atkins in Racine and check out his new CrossFit facility.

Brian
Old 12-01-2004, 10:56 AM   #5
Laura Rucker

Profile:
This is the most no BS philosophy for overall fitness I have ever seen.

Right on the "Mark". Have you browsed the comments on the WOD page? I find that is one of the most encouraging things on the site. I keep going back days and sometimes a week later to see if there are new comments.

30 muscle ups - yes, I aspire to that one. I can't do one yet, either.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:07 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Welcome, keep plugging away. My usual suggestion is to suscribe to the Crossfit Journal and look at some back issues. Modify the WOD any way you can and just start plugging away. Feel free to ask any questions, we were all beginners once!
Old 12-01-2004, 12:31 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Welcome. I agree with Larry - get the Crossfit Journal. A new one is coming today sometime! And buy back issues as you can afford. I just re-read through my back copies this week and I always learn something new even reading the same material over again.

Just getting through these workouts means you have the guts to develop elite fitness in the future!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:41 PM   #8
scott holmes jr.

Profile:  
congrats on your first wod mark. stick with it, it'll come, and you'll start to see that bodyfat melt away too.definitely keep us posted on your progress. so far i've lost 2 percent of bodyfat from may to november (from 15% to 13%). i'll bet it could be even better w/o all these holiday feasts, thanks to my wife and mom. (they are both awesome cooks)
Old 12-01-2004, 08:20 PM   #9
mark ledesma

Profile:  
Thanks for all the encouragement, folks.. about 12 hrs after my first workout my legs hurt.

That's right, my legs hurt from doing pullups and dips. That's how I know it's working.

Will post periodic updates.

-ML
Old 12-02-2004, 12:06 PM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Mark,
Good start!! I'm glad to see Beth and Larry respond to your post. When the issue of weight comes up, these people have some of the best advice and encouragement on the board. What makes this place unique is the fact most of us have been in your shoes. In fact, I lurked around on the site for about a month before posting my results and jumping into the message board! I can tell you that it will take about 3 months to a year to do the WOD as prescribed, but don't be discouraged!! It took time to put on the weight and get where you are now, it'll take time to get where you want to be. The hardest thing to do is start, and you've accomplished that already. The WOD will build mental toughness as well as physical strength.
Finally, enjoy the board. There are some great people here with great knowledge and senses of humor!