CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Aaron Korth

Profile:
It happened....

Today I sustained my first significant injury.. We were doing (10) 100M sprints and on my second run I felt a small "pop" on my upper left hamstring!!! Never felt a sudden pain like that before. You watch athletes "pull up lame" all the time in TV, and today I was THAT GUY!! So our coach took me back into the gym put me on a massage table and immediately iced my hammie.. I limped home and now Ive been icing on and off along with some 800mg Ibuprofin.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can do?? My coach told me that IF its not serious, then I will be out a few weeks before I can even start stretching my hamstring!!! That SUCKS!! I was thinking that I could do upper body workouts just to stay active.. but I was thinking that almost everything we do requires some sort of leg movement.. Im bummed!!!

If anyone has anything to pass along... I would greatly appreciate it!!

A.J.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Sam Sang Won Lee

Profile:
Re: It happened....

Hey there.
Sorry to hear about your injury?
It sucks to be out with an injury.
I slightly sustained a slap tear and the first thought of not being able to train
for a few weeks was definitely a discouragement. But it's better to take care
of it now and go full speed when you've fully recovered.(Somehting I should have done)
I didn't wait and when I felt slightly better, I would do exercises that involved my shoulder and it would heat up and aggravate it a bit.
So, find out what you can do to help the recovery process. Some people take
vitamins, eat certain types of food, etc.
Good luck with it, be patient, and you'll be back in no time.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Ted Toal

Profile:

Same exect thing happened to me earlier this year, minus hearing a pop, which means your injury may be more serious.

I would switch between heat and cold every day until it started feeling better. It took four weeks before I was able to run and I took it easy for another couple weeks after that. It's now fully healed and I've had no further problems.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Aaron Korth

Profile:

THanks for the response Ted... After reading through some other stuff Im hoping its not too bad!! I dont feel a "knot" or a "bulge" and so far there is no bruising... I know its just going to take time rest and wait it out..

AJ
Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Forget the ice and ibuprofen. Heat, compression, and movement will help the most. Check this out http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/p...ooo-wrong.html [WFS]
Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Aaron Korth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Forget the ice and ibuprofen. Heat, compression, and movement will help the most. Check this out http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/p...ooo-wrong.html [WFS]
Good read Brad... thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Eric Shuty

Profile:

I'd go to a doc to make sure it's not a tear but it sounds like a pull. I've sustained multiple pulls of my left hammy over the years so I know how you feel. Earlier this year I pulled a calf and a hammy. Regardless of whether its a pull or tear, it will bruise up. Nothing to freak out about. The biggest thing to avoid is rushing back too soon. Don't want to re-injure it or turn a pull into something worse. The good news is they once you have fully healed you'll be basically good as new.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Would see a doctor, there are reports for young active athletic people if the hamstring is pulled off the ischium or bone where the hamstrings attach, a weakness develops in the future vs a muscle pull in the belly of the hamstring muscle.