CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
Aaron Herzog

Profile:
Reoccurring Lower Back Injury - Need help

Need some help here. I have had a reoccurring back injury that flairs up anywhere from every 6 months to 18 months for the past 7-8 years. Up until yesterday it has always happened when am I deadlifting. It feels like my lower spine right above my hips pulls in towards by belly button and it puts me out of commission for 3-4 weeks, and then I have to progressively build back up towards heavy weights.

Yesterday it happened again but this time it happened from hamstring stretches. Yes stretching!

Hands flat on floor, back tights with abs braced and the tried to straighten my legs to stretch the hammies.

It did indeed stretch my hammies, but it pulled my lower back out of whack. It felt exactly like the previous deadlift related injuries felt like. I had thought I was losing focus during the deadlifts that was causing the injury, but now I am thinking it could be a muscle imbalance issue. Something in the hips being too tight and pulling the lower back out of alignment.

After an incident:
1) Sitting makes it much worse, standing or lying is fine
2) Its worst in the morning after sleeping, but after getting up and moving around it seems to go away.

My hip flexibility in general is pretty good, can to do ATG squats no problem. I was thinking maybe piriformis but I really don't know. I do have a desk job so I do sit a lot and noticed that the injuries do tend to occur after longer than normal work weeks.

Anyone have any ideas, or advice? Maybe some mobility to work on?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 AM   #2
Danny Edwards

Profile:
Re: Reoccurring Lower Back Injury - Need help

Your back issue sounds similar to what I have dealt with the past 18 months. I sought medical treatment and after tests and x-rays was told that I have spondylolisthesis. The doctors solution was to limit heavy lifts and take anti inflammatory meds. I should say that I'm 40 years old and 6'1" ant 225. At 40 the doc thought I was nuts for throwing around heavy weight.

The meds helped and for a short time I limited heavy lifts. My wife suggested I join her for Pilates and her instructor suggested my issue was likely due in part to having weak transverse abdominis muscles or that I could not engage them. She gave me stretching and strength exercises and since I have been doing them I have ceased having problems.

You might look into these two possible causes.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Zach Long

Profile:

find a mckenzie certified therapist. http://www.mckenzieinstituteusa.org/#

should be able to get you back on track really quick with that treatment style IMO based on your info there
Old 07-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Check out this site: http://www.fixyourownback.com/

You have clear discogenic issues. McKenzie, as already mentioned, would be extremely helpful, too.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Long View Post
find a mckenzie certified therapist. http://www.mckenzieinstituteusa.org/#

should be able to get you back on track really quick with that treatment style IMO based on your info there
Herniated discs gave me similar symptoms (sitting, mornings). Stretches and a McKenzie roll worked.