CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
Harry Mitchell

Profile:
Lack of energy during afternoon workouts

Hi all, I'm a 24 year old male that's been crossfitting for over 3 years on and off now. I'm currently not working so I'm able to train as often as I like and this often involves doing two met cons a day. My progress is through the roof at the moment but there's one area that's bugging me. During my second workout of the day, after lunch, I hit this slump and just feel slow and lethargic as soon as I get moving for the warmup. I hit my morning session with good intensity and feel great afterwards but in my evening ones it seems like I'm always just trying to get the workout over with and I lose my energy straight away.

The next morning I feel fresh and well recovered as this morning I hit a front squat personal best despite crashing somewhat in last night's WOD. It seems I even get out of breath quicker than normal in the evenings. I know the first logical response to this would be to scale back but I've been doing 2 a days for quite some time and have only been making insane progress in both fitness and strength so I don't believe this is an overtraining issue. My second thought is that I eat too much for lunch which makes me sluggish for my second workout. I generally eat some chicken, rice and vegetables for lunch. Nothing which would make me lethargic though.

Should I experiment with eating smaller meals throughout the day or could there be something else at play here? Many thanks
Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:
Re: Lack of energy during afternoon workouts

What is your diet and when do you eat ?
When do you train ?
What do you think about your level of energy throughout the day ?

Maybe you eat too much before your 2nd workout.
Maybe your energy level is naturaly low at that time of the day and you should train later or sooner.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:
Re: Lack of energy during afternoon workouts

I suggest a nap after lunch and before the 2nd workout. It is normal to have a dip in energy at that time.