CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
A request for air squat help

Howdy!

I'm training a friend of mine, and the movement he struggles with the most is the squat. I refuse to put a bar on his back until he is consistent with proper form, and he's really motivated to better the movement.

The problem is, the squat is the move I have the most amount of trouble coaching. I can never manage to teach it. Below is a video of him squatting. We did 5 sets of 5, but I cut out the talking in between reps.

If anyone has any tips, links, pictures, cues, etc., really anything that will help him improve his squat, please comment below. I'd really (and so would he) appreciate any and all help we can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3FSAe8pIJI (NSFW, 1 f-bomb dropped at 7seconds. Aside from that it's fine)
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: A request for air squat help

He's being too mobile with his low back, I think he gets too much extension in the low back then lets it all go loose to get into the bottom and rounds. Overall his upper body and neck are loose.

Have you taught him how to keep his core/torso tight with air in the gut?

I wonder if he would be a little more balance if you had him goblet squat.

I'm usually a big fan of butt back as far as you can, but you might have him try to have the knee bend soon after the butt comes back. I wonder if he is getting too much weight behind him and loses his balance.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Kenny Markwardt

Profile:

He's going too far back with his butt.

I think coaches take that butt back first thing too far, literally. The idea is more to have people not send their knees forward first than sticking your butt out.

In my opinion, a much better cue is "start by sending your hamstrings/thighs back, then shove your knees out.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Phil Washlow

Profile:

I agree with both posters. The butt back cue works well for people who are bending the knees first but sometimes it leads people to unlock their. The cue hamstrings back has helped some athletes that I have seen with that issue (myself included).

His shins are very vertical, which is typically a good thing but not super necessary for an air squat, is it because he lacks the ankle flexibility or is that just his movement pattern?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Butt back becomes more important when you have a bar on your back to help counterbalance the weight depending on your forward lean and the style of squat you are using. So this means I agree with Kenny.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Alex Habib

Profile:

Everyone more or less hit on everything. Biggest issue is the overextension of his back. When people overextend at the top of the squat, the stability of the spine when you approach the bottom of the squat dies and you get a but "wink". Spine stabilization before the descent should solve this. His head is all of over the place. Keep it neutral throughout the squat (straight ahead the entire time) will help stabilize more as well. If possible try to keep his feet as straight as possible with knees going out. If he feels his ankles externally rotating then he needs to work on ankle mobility. Pistols are a good way to test that as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
James Caldwell

Profile:

Biggest fault: Loss of mid-line stabilization.

Have him drop two inches, correct form, then go two inches further, correct form again and repeat until at the bottom of squat. (Weight in heels, knees back, knees slightly to the outside, CHEST UP, find a point straight ahead on the horizon to look at...)
Old 06-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
James Caldwell

Profile:

Oh and make sure he is engaging his abs.