CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Jay Ashman

Profile:
request

I rarely ever post on this board anymore but I feel compelled to now.. this may get closed and that's ok.. but people will read this.

IMO CrossFit is a great community, filled with good and maybe not-so-good people.

Each affiliate has the right to run their facility as they see fit, from the bootcamp style of some to the hardcore odd-object training like Rob Orlando's place, Zach Even-esh's place to my future box which will combine CrossFit methods with Westside and athletic training principles.

Nowhere does CrossFit expect you to follow like a sheep, this community was built on thumbing our noses as the established fitness norm.

I see a lot of internal stuff going on at other boards, people dissing CrossFit and what they perceive to be problems, I can only speak for myself when I say if you don't like it, join another gym or fix your own gym first.

I support CrossFit and I support those who left, I don't take sides and I think that a lot of people need to realize that unless you are directly involved in a dispute, you need to just go on with your ultimate goal of achieving fitness and strength.

Everyone has their own reasons for leaving the fold, I have my reasons for wanting to join up and affiliate.

I've been around the fitness block a few times and I have never seen a program and system produce results out of normal people quite like this.

CF is growing at an exponential rate. 2 years ago I was the only person in my gym doing CF workouts, now there are about 7 guys who do it on their own, and a few with my help. With growth comes growing pains... instead of some people being a part of the problem, why don't the same people be a part of the solution and look for ways to keep the growth going and bring the same quality to their own place and community?

For those that complain about threads being closed here, forums are moderated for a reason and when stuff gets has the potential to get out of hand, that will happen.

I am no sheep, for those that know me know that I have my own way of doing my training (that involves CrossFit). I never followed mainpage, I always trained with a strength bias, and I use other methods of functional training in my own work that you will not see on the mainpage, and that is fine. It is still CrossFit-inspired in a major way and I give CF credit for the influence and the results-based program that has helped me and my clients.

For that I am affiliating and I will remain affiliated.

Keep your eyes focused on the ultimate goal, we create fitter people. We are here for our clients, not for ourselves. Our clients aren't going to care about webboard drama, about who said what on other forums or about who left CrossFit, they care about results.

Give them results and see the community grow.

Every fitness and strength system has its detractors and critics, that is a fact of life.

This is our community, let's keep it growing strong and let us not let some internal problems come in the way of our end goals.

I am posting this here instead of on other forums because I don't go to other forums and the audience I want is here...

Old 11-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: request

Amen brother!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
Amen brother!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Well said, and I agree

Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Julie Trincia

Profile:

I appreciate what your saying, and im not taking sides. But there is an unsettled feeling......I guess some of us just want .....a response / explanation(not sure what i'm looking for)..something from HQ....somehow just address the situation...bring closure to it so we can move on.
Thats just human nature, isnt it?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Trincia View Post
I appreciate what your saying, and im not taking sides. But there is an unsettled feeling......I guess some of us just want .....a response / explanation(not sure what i'm looking for)..something from HQ....somehow just address the situation...bring closure to it so we can move on.
Thats just human nature, isnt it?
Then e-mail HQ. This is a discussion board up to the discretion of the moderators, they have said more than once to contact HQ with matters like this.

Closure is overrated, move on anyway. I have, and I have been in this community a lot longer than most and I am vesting my career with it.

People just love (not saying you) to beat down the doors with baseball bats and fly torches yelling "ANSWERS, ANSWERS!!!" when it isn't always necessary.

Maybe a simple well-placed e-mail with genuine concern would get you a good response instead of people flying on the discussion board.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
Then e-mail HQ. This is a discussion board up to the discretion of the moderators, they have said more than once to contact HQ with matters like this.

Closure is overrated, move on anyway. I have, and I have been in this community a lot longer than most and I am vesting my career with it.

People just love (not saying you) to beat down the doors with baseball bats and fly torches yelling "ANSWERS, ANSWERS!!!" when it isn't always necessary.

Maybe a simple well-placed e-mail with genuine concern would get you a good response instead of people flying on the discussion board.
I absolutely agree with this. I met two out of three of the current controversial folks and I think they are both good dudes. A look behind the curtain on this wouldn't help anything. I wish the mods didn't have to be so quick on the draw with these, but I've been here in one form or another since 2006, and these things get unproductive quickly.

It's a widely regarded opinion amongst legit mental health types that closure is BS propagated by Oprah and Dr. Phil. FISHDO.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Agree, Robert. I never understood closure when it applies to comething like this, I can understand it if it is a personal matter but not this...

They are quick on the draw for a reason, if they weren't threads would denigrate into lunacy like on other boards.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Nicole Ashman

Profile:

Could not agree more....

What I value most about the CrossFit community are the friends I have made.. They are more like family to me.

The passion that CrossFitters have is unlike any other community that I have come across.

CrossFit really has done so much to improve my life on all levels....

Old 12-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Ken DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
This is our community, let's keep it growing strong and let us not let some internal problems come in the way of our end goals.
Where as I agree with this sentiment, I disagree with your "method" for achieving this.

Self improvement only comes through self-reflection. A head-in-the-sand approach doesn't fix anything. I don't care to be the guy whistling and proclaiming "Nothing to see here, folks! Keep moving along."

IMO, our community is weaker and worse off than it was before the current departures. The fact that this has been squashed on these boards is dissappointing, to say the least.

Is this community too fragile to have a discussion on this topic? There's a line between moderating and censorship, and I think it's been crossed. Some may be OK with that, I'm not, but clearly that decision is not up to me.

So much for the spirited debate that the CrossFit invites.

Closed Thread