CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Gabriel Chapman

Profile:
Camp Pendleton Fires

I was stationed at Pendleton from 93-96, spending all of my time with 5th Marines out of Camp San Mateo 62 area. When I got out I moved a few miles away to San Clemente where I reside now. Just thought I would share some photos from the fires that have ravaged massive portions of the CP coast.

The sad thing is I fondly remember Kernal Blitz operations in the area that was totally destroyed by fire, as well as many a fun night doing boat raids and landings in that area as well. To see it all blown away so totally is a little sad.

Image Gallery here (ws/fs)

If you can help those in need. While the fires in CP are not taking homes, there are many in the San Diego area without a roof tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	209.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	884  
Old 11-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Richard Meller

Profile:
Re: Camp Pendleton Fires

For those who want to help, here are two organizations that focus on helping first responders who suffered from the fires:

The contributions of fire fighters in the affected areas has been phenomenal. Even while their own homes were burning and their families endured hardship, they worked tirelessly (often without sleep or adequate resources) to fight the fires, some giving their lives in the process. The San Diego City Fire Fighters Local 145 - Firestorm 2007 Fund (www.iaff.org/07news/102407firestorm.htm--W&FS) is accepting donations to assist San Diego fire fighters who have sustained losses in the wildfires, including three with a total loss of their homes.

The San Diego Foundation's After-the-Fires Fund 2007 (www.sdfoundation.org/fire2007/--W&FS) was created to receive donations for making emergency grants to first responders and other nonprofits engaged in disaster response, recovery and rebuilding. Following their initial response and recovery activities (primarily the provision of food, shelter, housing and healthcare needs), After-the-Fires is now focused on long-term recovery needs such as providing grants to help rebuild the lives of fire survivors, as well as restore the communities affected by the fires.