CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
Ben Bell
Member Ben Bell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brentwood  TN
Posts: 26
Women's Bar (Bella Rogue or B&R)?

I'm going to buy a bar for my wife and wondering which of these two bars (Bella or B&R) that people prefer. Is there a difference in the warranties? Does York stand behind their bar as well as Rogue stands behind theirs?

The thought process is that I would start with one of these bars as a general purpose bar and that if she gets interested in Olympic lifting I could then add a Pendlay bar. Then she would have a slow bar and a fast bar.

Any thoughts?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
John Kim
Member John Kim is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 19
Re: Women's Bar (Bella Rogue or B&R)?

My wife has the Bella Rogue and is very happy with it -- likes the feel of it and also the looks of the black bar. I have the B&R men's bar and it rocks.

If I had to do it over again, I might spend the extra money to get her the B&R bar since I think it's just the perfect bar for slow lifts, but the Rogue bar is just fine and a bit cheaper. If you are truly planning to get a second bar for the oly lifts, I probably would save the money and go with the Rogue, and use the savings to step up a notch on the oly bar.
__________________
www.libertychocolates.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
Nalin Prabhu
Member Nalin Prabhu is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Troy  OH
Posts: 562
Re: Women's Bar (Bella Rogue or B&R)?

I'd go with just a 'fast' bar. She can still DL and squat with it.

If you went with a bar that doesn't really spin well (slow bar) you couldn't really use it for the oly lifts.

I seriously doubt your wife is going to damage a good bar (unless you use steel plates)
__________________
5'9"/ 175lb/ 31yrs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Shane Scott
Member Shane Scott is offline
 
Shane Scott's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle   WA
Posts: 44
Re: Women's Bar (Bella Rogue or B&R)?

I have a B&R bar and love it. I bought my wife the Rogue Bella bar, and she likes it. However, she loves the knurling on the B&R bar so much better-as do I (less aggressive). She wishes she had spent the extra money for the women's B&R bar now. You might ask your wife which she would prefer, as most women are not that excited about developing overly callused hands (gross generalization-I could be wrong).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Ben Bell
Member Ben Bell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brentwood  TN
Posts: 26
Re: Women's Bar (Bella Rogue or B&R)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
I'd go with just a 'fast' bar. She can still DL and squat with it.
Having never used a needle bearing bar, I was wondering if it would be problematic for the slow lifts. But from what your saying, I sounds like it would be fine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Ben Bell
Member Ben Bell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brentwood  TN
Posts: 26
Re: Women's Bar (Bella Rogue or B&R)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Scott View Post
I have a B&R bar and love it. I bought my wife the Rogue Bella bar, and she likes it. However, she loves the knurling on the B&R bar so much better-as do I (less aggressive). She wishes she had spent the extra money for the women's B&R bar now. You might ask your wife which she would prefer, as most women are not that excited about developing overly callused hands (gross generalization-I could be wrong).
For deadlifts she will likely use gloves. And knowing her, she will probably try to use them for everything. So, it sounds like I should be looking at the bars with lighter knurling.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Ben Bell
Member Ben Bell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brentwood  TN
Posts: 26
Re: Women's Bar (Bella Rogue or B&R)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
My wife has the Bella Rogue and is very happy with it -- likes the feel of it and also the looks of the black bar. I have the B&R men's bar and it rocks.

If I had to do it over again, I might spend the extra money to get her the B&R bar since I think it's just the perfect bar for slow lifts, but the Rogue bar is just fine and a bit cheaper. If you are truly planning to get a second bar for the oly lifts, I probably would save the money and go with the Rogue, and use the savings to step up a notch on the oly bar.
When you say step up. What bar would you be recommending over the Pendlay?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
John Kim
Member John Kim is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 19
Re: Women's Bar (Bella Rogue or B&R)?

I'm not a bar expert, but I figure if I am ever going to buy an oly bar for my wife, I might as well buy her an Eleiko.
__________________
www.libertychocolates.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rogue Bar vs. Burgener & Rippletoe Bar Jay Rhodes Equipment 6 07-29-2010 07:43 PM
Women's B&R Bar Ahmik Jones Equipment 13 11-12-2009 04:10 PM
Rogue Bar or B&R Bar? Scott Parker Equipment 1 06-29-2009 08:31 AM
Rogue Fabrication & Design - Pullup Bar Drawing William Henniger Equipment 6 07-10-2008 06:07 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.