CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
Ben Bell

Profile:
Women's Bar (Bella Rogue or B&R)?

I'm going to buy a bar for my wife and wondering which of these two bars (Bella or B&R) that people prefer. Is there a difference in the warranties? Does York stand behind their bar as well as Rogue stands behind theirs?

The thought process is that I would start with one of these bars as a general purpose bar and that if she gets interested in Olympic lifting I could then add a Pendlay bar. Then she would have a slow bar and a fast bar.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
John Kim

Profile:
Re: Women's Bar (Bella Rogue or B&R)?

My wife has the Bella Rogue and is very happy with it -- likes the feel of it and also the looks of the black bar. I have the B&R men's bar and it rocks.

If I had to do it over again, I might spend the extra money to get her the B&R bar since I think it's just the perfect bar for slow lifts, but the Rogue bar is just fine and a bit cheaper. If you are truly planning to get a second bar for the oly lifts, I probably would save the money and go with the Rogue, and use the savings to step up a notch on the oly bar.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

I'd go with just a 'fast' bar. She can still DL and squat with it.

If you went with a bar that doesn't really spin well (slow bar) you couldn't really use it for the oly lifts.

I seriously doubt your wife is going to damage a good bar (unless you use steel plates)
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Shane Scott

Profile:

I have a B&R bar and love it. I bought my wife the Rogue Bella bar, and she likes it. However, she loves the knurling on the B&R bar so much better-as do I (less aggressive). She wishes she had spent the extra money for the women's B&R bar now. You might ask your wife which she would prefer, as most women are not that excited about developing overly callused hands (gross generalization-I could be wrong).
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Ben Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
I'd go with just a 'fast' bar. She can still DL and squat with it.
Having never used a needle bearing bar, I was wondering if it would be problematic for the slow lifts. But from what your saying, I sounds like it would be fine.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Ben Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Scott View Post
I have a B&R bar and love it. I bought my wife the Rogue Bella bar, and she likes it. However, she loves the knurling on the B&R bar so much better-as do I (less aggressive). She wishes she had spent the extra money for the women's B&R bar now. You might ask your wife which she would prefer, as most women are not that excited about developing overly callused hands (gross generalization-I could be wrong).
For deadlifts she will likely use gloves. And knowing her, she will probably try to use them for everything. So, it sounds like I should be looking at the bars with lighter knurling.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Ben Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
My wife has the Bella Rogue and is very happy with it -- likes the feel of it and also the looks of the black bar. I have the B&R men's bar and it rocks.

If I had to do it over again, I might spend the extra money to get her the B&R bar since I think it's just the perfect bar for slow lifts, but the Rogue bar is just fine and a bit cheaper. If you are truly planning to get a second bar for the oly lifts, I probably would save the money and go with the Rogue, and use the savings to step up a notch on the oly bar.
When you say step up. What bar would you be recommending over the Pendlay?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
John Kim

Profile:

I'm not a bar expert, but I figure if I am ever going to buy an oly bar for my wife, I might as well buy her an Eleiko.