CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Myles Mccutcheon

Profile:
Exertion Headache

Hi everyone, first post here for me. Just like the title says I have a question about exercise induced headaches. I often get them after a killer wo or sporting event - Going too hard too often while palying hockey for example. Never from pure strength exercises just Metcon's.

Why? I dont really care...I am sure it is not serious (If I start to get dizzy or passout then I will see the doc) BUT how the hell do I stop the throbbing or better yet, prevent them?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Adam Locklin

Profile:
Re: Exertion Headache

Hmm, what about hydration? I think know the kind you are talking about though just a massive thud/heart beat sound in your head?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Myles Mccutcheon

Profile:

Yeah Adam, not the thud type. A serious gripping headache for hours. I drink plenty of water - a bit during (hard to gulp when your heart is in your throat) but lots immediately after and throughout the day. It feels like the worst hangover headache ever - which I can cure through hydration. I goes after about 6 hours...Thanks for the input.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Lee Austin

Profile:

I get migraines from exercise. I used to think it was just the exertion but I've noticed that it's really exertion on hot, very sunny days. I think squinting into the sun has something to do with it as well as dehydration. Dunno if it's realated to your problem but wearing a good hat to shade my eyes and drinking something other than water (I like to get the powdered Gatorade and mix it at half strength) seems to help me.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Duke McCall

Profile:

A lot of folks get exertional headaches from the Metcons, myself included. Mine have become less of a problem the longer I have been CrossFitting. I rarely get them now, except when I really push myself beyond my limits. None of mine have lasted six hours either. The length of your headaches suggests to me that there is another factor at work, such as dehydration. I suggest you talk to your doctor.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Frank Bessette

Profile:

The same thing happened to me yesterday.

By the way, I had just taken a week off from working out.

I was doing Lynne and after the first round I had the worst pain ever. I kept going with the workout, drinking a lot of water between rounds and all, but reduce the intensity.

Then, during today's workout it came again.

So I went to the hospital. They scanned my brain and extracted some spinal fluid to see if anything was damaged. Everything was fine.

They told me afterward that it happens if there's a big demand on the body all of a sudden. They told me the symptoms were the same that some women get when they're in labor.

They told me to lay off the exercises for a while and go back into it progressively.

I know the feeling of the dehydrated headaches... that was different. It felt more like a concussion. Even now as I'm reading this, the headache remains.

The also advised me to go see a neurologist. If I learn more with him what causes those pain, I'll let you know.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Lara Lewis

Profile:

Is there any chance that they are sinus headaches?

I get sinus headaches a lot of times after a very hard run, especially when my nose is already running (no pun intended) or congested before I start. They usually start a couple of hours after I'm done running. I've never had one playing hockey although my nose is usually runny when I'm on the ice because of the cold, humidity, etc. and I've never had one doing any other kind of workout.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

I went through a phase of these exertion headaches a few months ago. I really could not tell you what had changed or caused them, or even what caused them to go away. Whenever they came on bad I would just really focus on breathing and turn down the intensity just a bit, sucks for your times but helps the throbbing. Eventually they just went away...take some aspirin afterwards as well.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
Daniel Broughton

Profile:

I used to get the same thing. The first time I felt my neck twinge while doing OHS. Evertime after it was during some serious METCON WOD. I saw a PA and he said that their could be some muscle pinch/strain or nerve being pinched. He advised to lay off a bit until I could work out comfortably. That worked well.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Aaron Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Austin View Post
I get migraines from exercise. I used to think it was just the exertion but I've noticed that it's really exertion on hot, very sunny days. I think squinting into the sun has something to do with it as well as dehydration. Dunno if it's realated to your problem but wearing a good hat to shade my eyes and drinking something other than water (I like to get the powdered Gatorade and mix it at half strength) seems to help me.

Thanks for sharing this info, I tend to get the same migraine type headache on hot or just bright sunny days, even when I think I am fully hydrated. I'll use these tips and see if it changes.