CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #21
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Seen at Globo-Gold's today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
I am bumping this because today, I experienced not one but TWO events so bizarre that I couldn't get my head around them enough to get p*ssed off.

First. I was hoping to bench press today, but the two flat benches were occupied for quite some time. One by a guy actually benching. The other by a woman doing weighted pelvic thrusters. She was lying on the bench, with a 25# plate on her crotch. Pelvic. Thrusting. I'm pretty sure my jaw literally dropped. I was so entranced by her behavior that I simply gave up the idea of benching and started my squat warm-up.

Second. I then needed to FS, but the two squat racks were occupied. One by a guy actually squatting. The other by a guy who had placed a Reebok step between the rails of the squat rack, and was doing dumbbell lunges onto the riser. So I watch for a full set, intrigued by how he was going to incorporate the squat rack into his exercise. And then I realized he wasn't. At all. So I head over and say, "Are you using the squat rack?" And he says, "Yes". And I manage to say, "Um, how?" And he says, "I'm doing dumbbell lunges..." as if he suspects maybe I'm slightly retarded. And my brain is so overloaded with confusion that I simply walk away and wait for him to finish NOT using the squat rack.

I could not make this sh*t up. Of all days, I wish I had my camera.
Byers-
Lesson learned: always bring your camera.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #22
Jeff Bowser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Byers-
Lesson learned: always bring your camera.
LOL, too funny. Just be carefull with the camera, or you're likely to get a nasty cease and desist letter from Globo's lawyers like I did .....oh wait a minute, that's because I started posting the funny pics on my blog.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #23
Sara Schroeder

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Melissa that is HILARIOUS! Sounds like I'm missing out on some great comedy by not working out at a globo-gym. Although we do have some funny moments out at the barn....like when I got stuck in a back squat and tried to toss the weight, but didn't get far enough out of the way and ended up smacking myself in the back with the bar....oh wait that was a painful moment, not a funny one!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
Samuel Friedman

Profile:

isn't pelvic thrusting good practice for opening and closing your hips explosively? sounds like something we should incorporate in crossfit
Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #25
Jeff Bowser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Friedman View Post
isn't pelvic thrusting good practice for opening and closing your hips explosively? sounds like something we should incorporate in crossfit
Someone has been reading the "How to hit on a crossfitter thread"......
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #26
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I've done that excersize for grappling, but I didn't use any extra equipment. It's like curling in the squat rack. You can pick it up off the floor, so don't waste the rack. Bunch of idiots.

WHat gets me is the lack of etiquette in the gym. People think they are the only ones who are working out. WHen I started working out, the older guys in the gym taught me (sometimes by talking, sometimes by insulting) what was the proper way to behave in the gym. Don't use something you don't need, put your stuff away, let people work in, offer a spot. I do it with the people I see at the gym, sometimes people accept it and sometimes they are asses about it. Bu thte gym management needs to do this and enforce this, it make everyones life easier.

GGrrrr, I've worked myself into a tizzy. I need to go lift some heavy things over my head.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #27
Sara Schroeder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Friedman View Post
All I need is a workout partner to help me practice
Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #28
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Yates View Post
All I need is a workout partner to help me practice
Okay-
now you guys have definitely confused the threads!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #29
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
Second. I then needed to FS, but the two squat racks were occupied. One by a guy actually squatting. The other by a guy who had placed a Reebok step between the rails of the squat rack, and was doing dumbbell lunges onto the riser. So I watch for a full set, intrigued by how he was going to incorporate the squat rack into his exercise. And then I realized he wasn't. At all. So I head over and say, "Are you using the squat rack?" And he says, "Yes". And I manage to say, "Um, how?" And he says, "I'm doing dumbbell lunges..." as if he suspects maybe I'm slightly retarded. And my brain is so overloaded with confusion that I simply walk away and wait for him to finish NOT using the squat rack.
And I thought the guys curling in the only squat rack in my Y were idiots. You should have hung around to see if he tried to use the rack to bail on a lunge-gone-horribly-wrong. Some people. I thought you had that globo whipped into shape.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #30
Riley Durant

Profile:

The problem with stupidity in the gym is that it's contagious. A person sees someone in better shape than they are doing something, regardless of how stupid it looks, and they think it must be right, so they do it too. Another person sees it and they do it as well. An endless circle of stupidity.

Somehow though, folks doing CF are labeled as the stupid ones and asked to "tone that crazy stuff down" or take it outside. That is what I can't wrap my brain around.