CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Dave Nova

Profile:
Definition of "Unbroken"

Yesterday's WOD:
AMRAP 10 minutes of 5 reps push press @ 90% max; maximum chest to bar pullups.

During the WOD, several box members "hung" from the bar: not to reset grip or regain kip movement but basically "rest".
Others repped to failure then transitioned to push press (starting new round).
QUESTION: Is it considered "broken" when an athlete stops during a round (such as chest to bar pullups, etc.) or is it "unbroken"?

There were no guidelines such as "feet can't touch ground", etc. And I understand some WODs would require you to start over if you stopped or feet touched the ground. Just looking for guidance, perspectives here as I know this could be interpreted differently.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Re: Definition of "Unbroken"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nova View Post
Yesterday's WOD:

During the WOD, several box members "hung" from the bar: not to reset grip or regain kip movement but basically "rest".
QUESTION: Is it considered "broken" when an athlete stops during a round (such as chest to bar pullups, etc.) or is it "unbroken"?

There were no guidelines such as "feet can't touch ground", etc. And I understand some WODs would require you to start over if you stopped or feet touched the ground. Just looking for guidance, perspectives here as I know this could be interpreted differently.
Thanks,
Dave
Depends on who's programming. But generally speaking when you're doing pull ups of any kind and at ME (max effort) is called for, your set is considered done when you drop from the bar.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
James Yates

Profile:

I would consider it an unbroken set until my feet hit the floor. Then again, if they were "resting" for a long time, it is kinda silly maybe, especially since it was an AMRAP anyway.

Personally, when my cadence starts to dramatically change, I know it is time to end a set, especially if multiple sets are involved.

On the other hand, if the goal is one big max-rep set, then by all means, game it up to a) test your limit and b) really fatigue the muscle.

One other perspective: it is hard sometimes, but don't let what other people do dictate what you do (within reason). In other words, you are competing against yourself, not them.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

5x90% in an AMRAP??? ouch.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Doesn't really matter what you call it.

Also a met-con like this doesn't lend itself well to comparing scores because 90% of your 1 RM is usually fuzzy unless you just tested it and the more experienced lifters will be much closer to a true 90% of 1 RM then new folks.

From a training point of view a short rest to get a couple of extra reps is fine. If you drag it out too long hanging there you are using up valuable time that could be used for the next round and would increase the total work done during the met-con.

Doesn't mean it is a bad met-con just don't get too excited about comparing scores.

The 5x90% seems a little high. I would use 5x80% or 3x90% but not the end of the world.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

I agree with the first couple responses: Counts as one set until you drop from the bar. If you are worried someone has crazy grip endurance and is really going to draw it out, though, you might want to put additional restrictions on there.

As for 90%, I think that's definitely too high unless people are allowed to jerk it, and even then it's pretty high. I say make it 5 push presses at 95% or 100% of your STRICT PRESS. Should be about appropriate difficulty. Easier, also, because a lot more CFers will know their 1 RM press than 1RM push press.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nova View Post
Yesterday's WOD:

Thanks,
Dave
I don't have anything to add except comment as to how insane that WOD must have been if you had to do 90 percent of your max on the push press five times as part of a 10 minute metcon.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Note to self: read thread before commenting.