CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-19-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
I've always liked doing full situps, legs held at close to 80 or 90 degrees and bending all the way up. That was fine when I did them slow, but after "Annie" last week and doing "Angie" Monday, I'd gotten really bad butt-burn. Annie was done on carpet-covered concrete and I got a bad rash. I learned my lesson and did Angie on soft wet dirt in a park and still ended up with a rash. Trying some assorted situps on my off day on the wrestling mats gave me still more of a rash.

What are some other options for situps? I'm looking for ways to do them without equipment. We've got one of the quarter-circle shaped situp boards at the gym, but it's a bit short for me and I have a hard time using it without risking whacking my head on the weight plate triangle. No chance of a Glute-Ham unit, either. Plus I'd like something I can do anywhere without fear of butt burn.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Are you lifting your hips at the bottom part of each situp? This would certainly increase the problem. I've done Barbara on concrete without butt burn. Control the bottom of the situp more (sure it's harder, but we're building strength right?) Try a rolled up towel just above your pelvis. This makes for a better situp anyway.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
At the bottom? No, they rise up at the top when I finish folding up, but they're flat the the bottom. The butt burn I'm getting is right at the top of my butt, too, near the base of my tailbone, which stays in contact with the ground until I get most of the way up. It could be my shorts rudding rather than the surface, but I don't really know.

I'll try the towel - I saw that on the WOD posting - but I was hoping for a technique that wouldn't require equipment (even that, I won't always have it handy). I've seen lots of situp techniques but I don't know which ones are a good substitute.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Alan Black

Profile:
I recently experienced the same thing. But it wasn't
do to technique, but rather clothing. I was wearing different workout shorts that caused the chaffing. Eliminate the skin on clothing rubbing and you may find your answer. It worked for me.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:
Re: Situps - how best to do them without butt burn

Try wearing underarmor compression shorts or bike shorts underneath your regular shorts. This will keep the friction on the bike shorts instead of on your skin.

Though sometimes you just have to work past it. I have this problem quite a bit but a lot less when I wear underarmor.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

By bike shorts, do you mean those tight ones like competitive racers wear? I own bike shorts, but they are loose shorts with padding in the crotch.

In the end I don't know that it matters - nowadays when the WOD says "situps" I either do bicycles or v-ups. Neither causes any kind of butt burn for me at all, and both give me a hard workout. I say my situps for the days we do slow no-momentum situps on the wrestling mats before grappling classes. Those don't bother me either - probably a combination of the mats and the speed, because I wear the same clothes to workout as I do to train.

Thanks for the advice.

Peter
Old 09-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Sean McCue

Profile:

To eliminate chafing try BodyGlide. It isn't greasy and doesn't leave a residue but it work like a champ.