CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
David Levine

Profile:
I’m three months post-op from a total knee replacement (TKR). I still have pain but Ibuprofen can handle it at this point. I can walk over an hour but I can’t do squats to the ground as I used to. I probably won't be able to do something like burpees with much intensity. I can squat below parallel and I’m slowly regaining some of the leg strength I’ve lost. My Yoga practice is severely compromised.
Can people recommend a course of fitness I can follow - or should I just do as much as I can, adapt however I can and hope for the best?
Will full squats damage the high-density polyethylene “meniscus?”
Thanks to all for suggestions.
Regards from Co. Clare, Ireland.
David
Old 03-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
James Besenyei

Profile:
David, one thing I didn't add in the e-mail was this short but interesting article that addresses the differing points of view concerning what activities are recommended by different docs after TKR, here's the work/family safe link: http://www.orthoassociates.com/JRC_current.htm

In my humble opinion, if you don't push too far, too fast and you scale the workouts appropriately you should be able to at least use Crossfit as a workout template. Of course you may not be able to do all 6 days (I actually only do 4 days right now, will amp up to 6 after I drop more weight) but I think Crossfit is amazingly adaptable. I hope some others will post with opinions, some of the members here are very, very knowledgeable about matters related to rehab & injury.

-Jim.