CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-16-2004, 05:50 AM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Aspirin May Lower Prostate Cancer Risk

A daily dose of aspirin may have a moderate effect in lowering a man's risk of prostate cancer, according to a new study.

Authors of the research -- involving 30,000 American men ages 55 to 74 -- found that participants who took a daily aspirin had a 15 percent lower risk of developing prostate cancer than non-users; those who took two aspirin a day had a 20 percent lower risk, according to an account from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Aspirin is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that blocks an inflammation-triggering substance called COX-2. Past research has shown several links between the substance and the formation and spread of various cancers.

The research was funded by the National Cancer Institute as part of its Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial being conducted at 10 sites around the country, the newspaper said.

About 230,900 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed in the United States this year, according to the American Cancer Society.

I will often take an aspirin before workouts where I know I'm going to hit max heart rate. I figure it can't hurt anything. Barry Sears also talks about aspirin as acting to balance eicosanoids.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:05 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Milwaukee Journal Sentinal? Barry, are you hangin' out in my neck of the woods?

Ryan
Old 04-16-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
No, that was just in the ZonePerfect newsletter. I cut and pasted it. I'm in Kentucky.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Annti-angiogenesis- it stops the growth of new blood vessels in tumors. I think fish oil is a good idea for this action as well.
Robb
Old 04-19-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Does anybody take asprin for its prophylactic effects (cardio and prostate)? I'm 41 yo and in very good shape, eat right, suppliment with fish oil. Would taking a baby asprin be good insurance or are there any side effects?
Old 04-19-2004, 05:59 PM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I've read up on that, and there don't really seem to be any side effects, other than Reyes Syndrome (which you either have or you don't, as I understand it). Obviously, a lot of aspirin could potentially affect your liver, but it's not nearly as bad as Acetominophen or Ibuprofen, from what I understand.

I believe aspirin also helps with Colon Cancer. I take it just because 1) it could help; 2) it's unlikely to hurt; and 3)when my face is beet red, my stomach is trying to turn upside down, I'm gasping for air like a fish out of water, and can't stand up straight, it reassures me.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
Brian Hand

Profile:

I don't take the aspirin every day because I don't want my blood to be too thin. I already take flax, vitamin C, vitamin E, and either food or supplement garlic daily.

Any anti-inflammatory can have some side effects. Over time your stomach might suffer, even at the low dose, so that's something to watch. There is some school of thought that says anti-inflammatories suppress immune response, too, but I don't know if it's a legitimate concern.

This is kind of heavy but ... I do know that a good friend of mine had a headache one Friday and started taking aspirin. Saturday he went to the hospital for a heart attack, it may have started on Friday. He escaped with no discernable damage to the heart. The doctors attribute this in part to the aspirin in his system. So, I always keep some aspirin around now.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I think both Enter the Zone and Omega Rx talk about asprin. It does amazing things but it is a big hammer with very broad action. I will have to re-read whether Sears gives it the thumbs up or down.
One can supplement thier salicylates (active ingredient in asprin) with things like mint and basil.
Robb
Old 04-20-2004, 05:08 PM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I don't think Barry Sears endorses it, per se. He develops some ideas as to why it works to reduce inflammation and heart disease, but seems to feel like the Zone and Fish Oil should do the trick. I definitely don't recall him recommending it as a supplement. The big ones I remember are the Fish Oil, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, and Magnesium.

I like that mint and basil idea. I love both of them a lot.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:07 PM   #10
Larry Cook

Profile:
Many studies on the efficacy of aspirin to ward off heart attacks have used Bufferin ... note that the buffer agent in Bufferin is magnesium ... some current speculation that the magnesium is the real beneficial agent ... or at least as important.

Not sure about the prostate cancer thing.