CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #871
Bob Muth

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

i am a throws coach, can a cross fit workout be applicable to throwing (track)??
Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #872
Ryan Ransom

Profile:

In looking through the attachments and using one for my programming I noticed that week 5 day 5 (Friday) is the only week that has front squat but no HR back squat. I'm only in week three but I'm following the ramp-up protocols listed in the article and week 5 is supposed to be the first week I do everything and specifically the week where I add in the last element - HR back squat on the front squat day. However, week 5, as mentioned, does not have HR back squat on the front squat day but does every other week. I searched the thread and couldn't find the answer (maybe because the spreadsheet is right and I should trust that). I want to be sure. Does anyone know if no HR back squat on Front Squat day in week 5 is a mistake or not?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #873
Jason Needler

Profile:

Okay, so I'm on week 2 of CFSB and loving it, but I have a question:

If I PR on a ME set, do I skip the high rep (HR) set or do it, too? Yesterday I did my ME FS 3x5. My first work set was 185 (my PR from last week), and my second work set was 205. PR, got it, check, and stop there. I remember that after getting your PR, you stop. So next up is HR BS, and then I wonder: when they said stop after a PR, did they mean stop ALL heavy work for that day? So, by PR'ing my FS, should I skip the HR BS? Or should I go on and do it? I went on and did it, but for future reference, if I PR on a ME set, do I skip the HR set or do it, too?

I am trying to read all of the back posts in here, but I can't just sit down and read 64 pages of posts in one day, so I apologize if the answer is in here already.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #874
Jason Needler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Muth View Post
i am a throws coach, can a cross fit workout be applicable to throwing (track)??
Bob, in a word: yes. I am no coach, but I am a fairly experienced CrossFitter (about 4 years) and I have developed programs based on CrossFit for myself, my Army unit, and a few friends.

I would say first of all you need to read this article. It lays out the basis for what CrossFit is and how CrossFit applies to fitness.

Keep in mind that CrossFit is designed to increase general physical fitness (GPP) and that you are looking for excellence in a very specific area - throwing. You can still benefit from applying many of the principles of CrossFit, but you will want to tailor or program heavily because your needs are very specific, whereas CrossFit's aims are broad and inclusive fitness.

I am sure that there are people who use these forums that can help you design a great program for your athletes, but the CFSB (CrossFit Strength Bias) forum may not be the place to find them. You may chose to use CFSB as a starting point, since I would wager that you want very strong athletes, but creating your own thread in the Fitness forum may be a better way to find the help you are looking for.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #875
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Needler View Post
Bob, in a word: yes. I am no coach, but I am a fairly experienced CrossFitter (about 4 years) and I have developed programs based on CrossFit for myself, my Army unit, and a few friends.

I would say first of all you need to read this article. It lays out the basis for what CrossFit is and how CrossFit applies to fitness.

Keep in mind that CrossFit is designed to increase general physical fitness (GPP) and that you are looking for excellence in a very specific area - throwing. You can still benefit from applying many of the principles of CrossFit, but you will want to tailor or program heavily because your needs are very specific, whereas CrossFit's aims are broad and inclusive fitness.

I am sure that there are people who use these forums that can help you design a great program for your athletes, but the CFSB (CrossFit Strength Bias) forum may not be the place to find them. You may chose to use CFSB as a starting point, since I would wager that you want very strong athletes, but creating your own thread in the Fitness forum may be a better way to find the help you are looking for.

Good luck!
If you use CrossFit to get a thrower ready, you are a terrible throws coach...
Old 06-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #876
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Needler View Post
If I PR on a ME set, do I skip the high rep (HR) set or do it, too?
Yes, you continue on and do it.

Also, it shouldn't be "if" you PR. You should be PRing every week. BUT you can't expect to make 20lb jumps every week like you did this past week.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #877
Jason Needler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Yes, you continue on and do it.

Also, it shouldn't be "if" you PR. You should be PRing every week. BUT you can't expect to make 20lb jumps every week like you did this past week.
Thanks for the answer, Tim. That's what I expected, but I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #878
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Jay,
CrossFit is good for everything! I worked with a High School jumper in the off season. When he walked in his Back squat was about 135 and his dead around 185. Returned him to his coach 15 pounds heavier with a 330 pound deadlift and a 280 back squat. He won the state championship yesterday. 7'0" at 17 years old.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #879
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
Jay,
CrossFit is good for everything! I worked with a High School jumper in the off season. When he walked in his Back squat was about 135 and his dead around 185. Returned him to his coach 15 pounds heavier with a 330 pound deadlift and a 280 back squat. He won the state championship yesterday. 7'0" at 17 years old.
a jumper, sure... they rely on leg power, it isn't rocket science, Jeff. Let's not make this into an argument but CrossFit isn't good for everything.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #880
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Your right Jay its not rocket science that's why every gym has multiple 16 year olds jumping 60 inch box jumps, 14 year olds deadlifting 360 and 17 year olds high jumping 7'. Pretty sure its not rocket science, in fact I would say its genetics given all the backwoods in breeding that goes on in our small town.