CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #851
Andrew Roden

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Apologies for my idiotic lack of search...
Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #852
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

For those of you who are doing cfsb, do you take a week off after a six week cycle or just reset and start over. I noticed on the template, an option is to do a 1/2 volume week. If this is done how do you do it. Do you just cut back on the load and sets, and do ya drop or continue with the metcons? I'm assuming it's kind of a do what your body tells you thing. I'm just trying to get an idea what some of the rest of you do.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #853
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Brad, usually take a week off of CFSB, maybe do a few Main Page WOD's. At least after the first round we all found it pretty taxing. After a couple of rounds you can just go forward with whatever your usual recovery plan is.

bingo
Old 05-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #854
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Darrell, I think taking a whole week off of CFSB after the cycle would do wonders. The only exercise you should get that week would be some LSD or some sled pulls to keep recovery to a minimum for the next cycle of gains. It can only help... what do you think?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #855
Darrell E. White

Profile:

You know Jay, I've been a big proponent elsewhere on the Board of planned rest and recovery, but I've learned that R&R is resisted here as if it were a communicable disease!

After the first cycle I agree that a week off is beneficial which is why Jeff and I put it into the original article. Having said that, many of us have just forged ahead on subsequent cycles.

Cheers.

bingo
Old 05-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #856
Ryan Ransom

Profile:

Ok - so I know I could find some answers if I searched but there are so many freaking posts - which is good! I'm starting this on Monday - any advice that you all can give as far as approach and metcons? I found the post with the heavy metcons hybrid program and downloaded the file. Any advice on which ones to choose or maybe just work my way through them all? Should I do all my metcons heavy or just sometimes while other times doing the mainsite WOD for a shorter period of time? Also, how long should one do the gymnastics/skill work? I think I have a good grasp of it all but we'll see as time goes one. Starting on Monday and I'm stoked! Thanks!

Strength and Honor
Old 05-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #857
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

As the program says, don't do a metcon longer than 15 minutes and try to keep them under 10 minutes generally. I would avoid doing the same lift in the strength work and in a metcon.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #858
Ryan Ransom

Profile:

About to start my first cycle and will be going as the journal recommends. I am using the excel file that is in the attachments of this thread. However, I'm not quote sure I understand exactly how to do it. The article says this:

Week 1: One-rep scheme of Deadlifts and Press
Week 2: Deadlifts, Press, Back Squats
Week 3: Deadlifts, both rep schemes of Press, Back
Squats, Front Squats
Week 4: Both rep schemes of Deadlifts, Press, Back
Squats, Front Squats
Week 5: Both rep schemes of Deadlifts, Press, Back
Squats, Front Squats + Back Squats

Gerenic question - the metcons are not mentioned, are they an understood and should be done on all lift days with one day being just a metcon?

week 1 - does this mean I would only work out two days and only do 3x5 or 5x3 and that's it, no high rep sets? What about the other 3 days of the week where there are supposed to be lifts? Are we just talking heavy metcons on those days?

week 2 - I add in back squats - is it still only the one rep scheme?

Week 3 - Are the DL's still only one rep scheme and the rest are now both 3x5or5x3 and the high rep set?

Week 4 - Now we're on both rep schemes each day but don't have the back squat added to day 4, correct?

Week 5 - First week with all lifts and all rep schemes and all metcons and from there that remains the case.

Am I understanding this correctly? I searched the thread but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Strength and Honor
Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #859
Ryan Ransom

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ransom View Post
About to start my first cycle and will be going as the journal recommends. I am using the excel file that is in the attachments of this thread. However, I'm not quote sure I understand exactly how to do it. The article says this:

Week 1: One-rep scheme of Deadlifts and Press
Week 2: Deadlifts, Press, Back Squats
Week 3: Deadlifts, both rep schemes of Press, Back
Squats, Front Squats
Week 4: Both rep schemes of Deadlifts, Press, Back
Squats, Front Squats
Week 5: Both rep schemes of Deadlifts, Press, Back
Squats, Front Squats + Back Squats

Gerenic question - the metcons are not mentioned, are they an understood and should be done on all lift days with one day being just a metcon?

week 1 - does this mean I would only work out two days and only do 3x5 or 5x3 and that's it, no high rep sets? What about the other 3 days of the week where there are supposed to be lifts? Are we just talking heavy metcons on those days?

week 2 - I add in back squats - is it still only the one rep scheme?

Week 3 - Are the DL's still only one rep scheme and the rest are now both 3x5or5x3 and the high rep set?

Week 4 - Now we're on both rep schemes each day but don't have the back squat added to day 4, correct?

Week 5 - First week with all lifts and all rep schemes and all metcons and from there that remains the case.

Am I understanding this correctly? I searched the thread but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Strength and Honor
Come on, guys - help me out. If I missed this answer while searching the posts than just yell at me and then point me in the right direction. All I need is a "you got it" or something as I figure doing this wrong isn't the best approach.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #860
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ransom View Post
Come on, guys - help me out. If I missed this answer while searching the posts than just yell at me and then point me in the right direction. All I need is a "you got it" or something as I figure doing this wrong isn't the best approach.
people learn best by doing, if it is working continue it, if not, fix it. Before the age of the internet how did people get strong and in shape?

give it a shot and try it out.