CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #841
Joe Hlasnik

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
I wouldn't make the CFFB workouts longer. That is asking for recovery issues. In fact, begging...
I'll second this...I've been following CFFB since November and I can tell you recovery is touch just keeping up with John's WODs. When you have a WOD such as AMRAP in 15 Mins of 5x315 Deadlift & 10 Toes2Bar, I don't know how anyone can want to do anything after that. I only completed 5 rounds and I was destroyed.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #842
Amy Larson

Profile:

Just finished up a CFSB cycle and love it! Having a hard time taking a recovery week but I know I need it, and need the opportunity to tweak my schedule to work with my boys' baseball games. If any ladies are wondering wheter CFSB is for them, just do it. For the first time I'm feeling confident that I can get to the RX'd weights on the WODs. Planning to do one more 6 week cycle, rest a week or so then focus on CrossFit Endurance for 6 weeks so I can make a respectable time in our local (hilly) 10K.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #843
Amy Larson

Profile:

Quick question,

Getting ready to start my second cycle and in looking at my schedule, the best days for me to take off are Mondays and Wednesdays (long work days and/or late baseball games). Is the 2 on, one off, 3 on 1 off schedule (outlined in "Strong Medicine") critical? I will always get two days rest per week, but I'll have a 4 days on stretch.

I find I get more fatigued when my whole day is stuffed with activity, especially when I spend 11 hours at work, sometimes with no lunch break (I eat, but don't get the down time). Coupled with baseball games that last until 8:30, there is usually one day a week I'm out of the house 13 to 14 hours and all I want to do is crawl in bed.

I usually didn't have any problems tweaking my schedule when doing only the mainsite WODs, but found the strength work in CFSB to be much more taxing (in a good way ).

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #844
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Larson View Post
Quick question,

Getting ready to start my second cycle and in looking at my schedule, the best days for me to take off are Mondays and Wednesdays (long work days and/or late baseball games). Is the 2 on, one off, 3 on 1 off schedule (outlined in "Strong Medicine") critical? I will always get two days rest per week, but I'll have a 4 days on stretch.

I find I get more fatigued when my whole day is stuffed with activity, especially when I spend 11 hours at work, sometimes with no lunch break (I eat, but don't get the down time). Coupled with baseball games that last until 8:30, there is usually one day a week I'm out of the house 13 to 14 hours and all I want to do is crawl in bed.

I usually didn't have any problems tweaking my schedule when doing only the mainsite WODs, but found the strength work in CFSB to be much more taxing (in a good way ).

Thanks!
Think you should be ok, but just ensure that the first few days of your 4 on are the taxing days on your CNS and the last couple days of your 4 on are the days in which you aren't going to suffer as much being a little tired. Its not ideal, but it is definately do-able.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #845
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

I'm no expert, but I died when I tried to do that. 4 days of ME killed, so I wouldn't do that. Maybe put in one day that's a bit lighter, only metcon or so.
But hey, you're not me, so try it, listen to your body, and let us know how it goes!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #846
Hew Fung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hew Fung View Post
Cycle two is complete and here are my results:

Started 1/25/10, Finished 3/5/10
Weight - 169 -> 171ish
1RMs
Press - 137.5 -> 145, nice!
Squat - 270 -> 280, almost had 290, confident I could get it with a better warmup scheme
DL - not tested
FS - not tested, but 5RM was 180 -> 190, 3RM was 195 -> 210

Modified Elizabeth - 9:36 -> 8:55 (21-15-9 rep rounds of 2x 50# DB hang power cleans, 50# DB swing, bar dips)
Heavy Helen (70 lb DBS) - 11:51 -> 10:42, runs could be faster here (treadmill)

On the high rep stuff, I've found that so much of it is mental. As an example, I've managed to go from 20x165 to 20x185, 15x195 on the squat but I tend to lose will before complete muscular failure.

I didn't add anything to my DL on this cycle after discovering some awful form during my last cycle. Instead, I spent the time trying to work on my form with very low weights, but unfortunately I've got a mental block regarding my hips rising first and I'm still working on it.

I have a 10 mile race coming up in about a month so I'm going to take a few weeks to throw in some dedicated running training. I may continue to do some 3x5 or 5x3 heavy lifts during that time, but I don't think I'll do another dedicated CFSB cycle until after the race. I'm probably going to swap power or full cleans in for the front squats, and maybe trying bench press instead of press just to mix things up a bit. Does that seem reasonable?
Cycle 3 is complete with mixed results. This time I did box squats, DL, bench press, and power cleans, with HR sets for everything except the box squats. I tested back squat, DL, and standing press at the end of last week. I did not take time off to specifically train for my 10 mile race but managed to do pretty well anyway.

Started 3/15/10, Finished 4/23/10
Weight - 170ish (unchanged)

Squat - Failed to increase from 1x280 to 1x290
DL - Finally got my formed mostly nailed down and slowly built the weight back up to a max set of 5x275. 1RM not tested.
Bench Press - Didn't test 1RM, but went from 5x185->5x205
Power Clean - Didn't test 1RM, but went from 5x160->5x180,3x190
Press - 145 -> 155!

Fran - Shaved off a modest 15s to put me around 6:25. Still not great, but at least I'm improving.

I'm bummed about my failure to PR in squat, but that maybe be due to starting out pretty easy on the box squat loads or maybe not doing them correctly. Maybe it was just an off day, I dunno. On the other hand, I'm thrilled with my new press PR. I failed to get 157.5 but I'm certain I could nail it, or maybe even 160, with targeted warmups sets (I was just going for 150). Press is easily my best lift now according to Rip's WL Standards. It almost seems too good to be true. Now if I could just get my squat and DL numbers in the same range...

I'll probably do another cycle of box squat, DL, bench, and PC before reevaluating and mixing it up again.

Last edited by Hew Fung : 04-27-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #847
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:

Nice work Hew, your powercleans seem to have made good progress too. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #848
Kent Newland

Profile:

How long is a cycle, exactly?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #849
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Newland View Post
How long is a cycle, exactly?
As the program is outlined in the CF Journal article, one cycle is 6 weeks long.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:30 AM   #850
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Has there been a summary of example WODs coupled with the lifting days posted?