CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #831
Antun Karlovac

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

I don't think you can combine strength training with endurance simultaneously (CFSB or otherwise).

You could take 12 weeks off endurance training while you work through a couple of cycles of CFSB, then switch back to endurance training. The strength work will certainly improve your long-distance performance in running, but you can not develop both at the same time.

Like the article says, stick to short runs during CFSB - 1/2 mile or less. You could do WODs that incorporate running - 100-800m sprints.

You said that endurance/conditioning is more important to you than strength. The short, intense WODs done in CFSB are metabolic conditioning WODs. So you would get conditioning during CFSB. Endurance - cardiovascular endurance - is a separate issue.

If the idea of taking 12 weeks off longer runs makes you uncomfortable, remember that it's relatively quick and easy to develop cardiovascular endurance, whereas it's extremely hard and time-consuming to develop strength. It's a commitment and a gamble.

Personally I signed up for a 10k run during my second CFSB cycle, which was a mistake. I didn't do a ton of running building up to the race, but it was definitely enough to affect the strength training, so I didn't get as much as I feel I could have out of the cycle.

-Antun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Engman View Post
OK. Ive read CFSB from crossfit journal and i currently do the WOD along with some running (2-4 miles) every couple days. How can integrate CFSB and still keep the scheduled WOD. Endurance/conditioning is overall more important than strength for me but i want to improve my strength also. Not sure how to mesh the two programs.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #832
Kent Newland

Profile:

From what I can tell, the CF Football programming seems to be the same as/similar to CFSB.

I was wondering if anyone has tried combining the main site WOD's with the CFFB SWODs.

I've been looking into it, and following CFFB for a couple weeks now. I personally think the gains and improvements I've made in strength are amazing, far better than any program that I've followed so far, to include the main site. I may be a glutton for punishment, but I've been thinking about lengthening the MetCons on CFFB. 10/15 minutes just seems too short.

Stats:
Kent
M/29/235
Bench: 295
Squat: 310
Press: 205
Clean: 205
Front Squat: 205
Clean and Jerk: 185
Don't have much else to speak of...yet.

Kent
Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #833
Chris Walls

Profile:

Don't make the WODS longer... there is a reason they are shorter and heavier. If the program is working, and it's getting your results you like, don't mess with it because you think longer = better.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #834
Lonnie Johnson

Profile:

Here's a version I'm starting with an extra day of rest. I've found that 4 WOD's per week is a good balance of stimulus & recovery for me. My goals are to make gradual progress in both strength and metcon's, no matter how slow "gradual" means. I want to see progress over time and avoid injury or overuse symptons. I have a decent amount of tendinitis in several areas that I am managing, so gradual progress = good so connective tissues can keep up with muscular strength gains and metcon intensity. Here it is:

Day 1: ME Back Squat + metcon <15
Day 2: ME Deads + HRDL + ME Bench + HRB
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: ME Power Clean + HR Back squat + Metcon <10
Day 5: ME Press + HRP + Metcon <20
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

So, this version includes Power Cleans & Bench, omits the Front Squat. It covers the 5 basic SS movements 1x per week at ME. Has high rep sets for all strength movements except Power Cleans. Hit's metcon's 3x per week. Rest 3x per week. The metcon's will typically be MP WOD's modified to fit the time frame and scaling back or substituting any movement's that are the same as the Strength portion of that day's WOD.

I've debated adding another metcon <10 on Day 2, but thought it would be nice to have a pure strength WOD 1x per week, and figuring that doubling up the ME's movements would be taxing enough. I think trial by fire will determine what will work best as I get deeper into this a few weeks.

Any feedback or suggestions to improve or things to think about would be great. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:26 AM   #835
Kent Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Don't make the WODS longer... there is a reason they are shorter and heavier. If the program is working, and it's getting your results you like, don't mess with it because you think longer = better.
I wouldn't necessarily say that I think longer=better, and I'm not necessarily arguing, I just like longer WODs, and I feel like I can recover from them just fine. Time will tell, of course. I can't stick to as regimented a training schedule as I'd like right now, due to the simple fact that I'm on deployment. When I finally get back home I'm definitely going to combine some running with what I'm doing now. I can't follow the CFFB WODs 100% just for simple lack of facilitiees/area. That said, I am getting decent results. Will report more when I have more to report.

Kent
Old 04-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #836
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Johnson View Post
Here's a version I'm starting with an extra day of rest. I've found that 4 WOD's per week is a good balance of stimulus & recovery for me. My goals are to make gradual progress in both strength and metcon's, no matter how slow "gradual" means. I want to see progress over time and avoid injury or overuse symptons. I have a decent amount of tendinitis in several areas that I am managing, so gradual progress = good so connective tissues can keep up with muscular strength gains and metcon intensity. Here it is:

Day 1: ME Back Squat + metcon <15
Day 2: ME Deads + HRDL + ME Bench + HRB
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: ME Power Clean + HR Back squat + Metcon <10
Day 5: ME Press + HRP + Metcon <20
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

So, this version includes Power Cleans & Bench, omits the Front Squat. It covers the 5 basic SS movements 1x per week at ME. Has high rep sets for all strength movements except Power Cleans. Hit's metcon's 3x per week. Rest 3x per week. The metcon's will typically be MP WOD's modified to fit the time frame and scaling back or substituting any movement's that are the same as the Strength portion of that day's WOD.

I've debated adding another metcon <10 on Day 2, but thought it would be nice to have a pure strength WOD 1x per week, and figuring that doubling up the ME's movements would be taxing enough. I think trial by fire will determine what will work best as I get deeper into this a few weeks.

Any feedback or suggestions to improve or things to think about would be great. Thanks!
I think this looks great. I was going to do almost the exact same program, but decided to follow the cfsb template instead for now. I'm gonna follow it for a six wk cycle and see if I feel like I'm getting enough rest with two days off per week. I'm three weeks into it and so far so good. I do like your idea of having two days off in a row. Before I started crossfitting, I trained four days a week like you have illustrated and it worked out great for recovery and gains.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #837
Lonnie Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Rasmussen View Post
I think this looks great. I was going to do almost the exact same program, but decided to follow the cfsb template instead for now. I'm gonna follow it for a six wk cycle and see if I feel like I'm getting enough rest with two days off per week. I'm three weeks into it and so far so good. I do like your idea of having two days off in a row. Before I started crossfitting, I trained four days a week like you have illustrated and it worked out great for recovery and gains.
I tried 3 on/1 off for awhile but my recovery didn't keep up and as a result the quality/intensity of the WOD's suffered, such that I wasn't getting as much out of it. I cut back to 4 per week and I feel alot better and the gains have been plenty. Now that I'm shifting more energy toward strength, I thought it would be even more taxing than MP programming and so I stuck w/ 4 days per week. I'm with you in the 35+ age range so I couldn't do what I used to pull off at 20! Good luck with your 6 week cycle!!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #838
Jay Ashman

Profile:

I wouldn't make the CFFB workouts longer. That is asking for recovery issues. In fact, begging...
Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #839
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

I agree with Jay. If you think the metcons aren't tough enough, just make the weight heavier and go harder. They're short for a reason.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #840
Jorge Montesinos

Profile:

Im in my 6th week of my second cycle of CFSB. This may sound dumb but, my question is in my second cycle of been doing box squats/wchains, and sumo deadlifts for ME. So would I do my 1RM on box squats and sumo, or would I test my 1RM on the Back squat and deadlift(conventional) to see if those lifts improved?