CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-01-2005, 03:53 AM   #1
Zachary Hany

Profile:
Just wanted to write a quick thank you to Matt G. for posting the muscleup video. I think I finally understand how to do the false grip on a bar. I believe I saw that there were still a couple people that had questions, so I thought I’d throw in my bit to try and explain it, or to be corrected.

Pretend that there is a window sill, roof, or anything that you want to climb on top of. To get the most advantageous false grip you would want to jump up place the palm of your hand flat on the surface. That way the entire hand would be 90 degrees to the wrist.

To do it on the bar just place your hands so that the bar would be right at the wrist joint.

I also tend to think of how my hands are when I push myself out of the swimming pool. You could probably practice the negative into a pool if you wanted to, at least for the dip part.

Haven’t gotten the MU yet, but hopefully will soon. I hope that makes some sense to someone. If I am way off base with my understanding, someone please correct me.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I think another way to look at it is to try and imagine that you have (sick I know) no hands.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:07 AM   #3
James Falkner

Profile:
Matt,

Also agree your video was excellent for teaching the bar MU. Question.. is the false grip you use on a bar the same one that you'd use on rings when doing an MU? I've heard in several places that you must 'master the false grip' if you are to get a decent ring MU.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
Zachary Hany

Profile:
Actually I think that is a good way to think about it. If you still had your hand, but no fingers or thumbs to grip with that is pretty much how you would try and grab hold of something.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:41 AM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
James, false grip on the rings is a bit different. Same idea, but different feel (IMO). When I do false grip on a bar I'm really exaggerated about it, but on rings it's more subtle.

I know, not very clear. What can I tell you...it's a feel thing.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Am I a complete mong? Why can't I find Matt's video?

I've searched "false video" "false mu grip" "muscle matt" (personal fave) etc etc.

I'm going to paw inanely at the keyboard soon.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #7
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Go to the main page, scroll down to last Saturday's WOD ("Lynne"), look just above the comments, and hey presto - Matt Gagliardi's pull-up bar muscle-up!