CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Greg D Hamilton

Profile:
Pullup grip

In a recent Tucker video, I think it may have been the learn to kip one, he points out that the thumb should be under the bar as opposed to on top with the rest of your fingers.

It feels awkward when I try to grip the bar like that and I haven't seen many, if any, other people who grip with the thumb underneath.

Does anyone have more input on why the thumb on the bottom grip would be reccommended?

Thanks,
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Andrew Roden

Profile:
Re: Pullup grip

I am pretty sure it's so you are less likely to fall off. Also I can grip much harder with my thumb around the bar than other wise. Thumb on top and the thumb contributes very little to the grip . IMHO...
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

This was brought up in an older thread and I believe it was the video dealing with inversions and levers.

Basically to sum up, a typical men's high bar is just under 1 inch thick. Because of how narrow it is, it's more advantageous to grip with the thumb around the bar. It is a more secure grip. In the gym, I tell the boys to grip it with the "Man-grip". This is also a very natural grip for anyone familiar with tool usage ( i.e. why we have an opposable thumb ).

A women's bar in gymnastics is around 1.5 inches thick and it much harder to grab the thumb around due to it's thicker width. In women's gymnastics, they typically place the thumb on top of the bar. Some reports state that the thumb may be broken during some gymnastics elements.

Many CF gyms vary on the width of their pullup bars as some may be wider or more similar to the width of a men's bar in gymnastics.

Important to note is that you should never grip the rings with the thumb on top instead of opposed.

I argued that the overgrip vs opposed grip can be used on a high bar but mainly I was being an argumentative pain in the butt. It can be used and that grip can be developed. If a bar is thick or a'body's hands are small, they may have to use the overgrip.

Most people who use a supinated grip " undergrip/reverse-grip " tend to wrap the thumb around as well.

Think of it also in this sense? Would you ever bench press in an overgrip without the thumb wrapped around? Would you do this with a DL?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Remember that grip failure on a kipping pullup can have much more dire consequences than on a deadhang. On a deadhang, you just drop straight down. When kipping, you'll go flying in whatever direction you were going when your grip slipped, and your feet won't necessarily be the first thing to hit the ground. (Nor will the ground necessarily be the first thing you hit.)

Katherine
Old 06-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Travis Loest

Profile:

Katherine,
You owe me a keyboard from the mental image that brought on. Most people should have a pretty good idea when their grip is going to fail, so really shouldn't be flying off in odd directions.

P.S. You could always use wraps!:stir:
Old 06-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Very often, you won't know when your grip will fail until right before it does.

If you are working on a slick bar, this can happen unexpectantly. Our HB at gym is bare because of the pvc strap system that slides over it that is used to lock in gymnasts to the bar when swinging giants around the bar or other circle work. This rubs any chalk off the bar and polishes it which makes for a very slippery bar.

Some of our boys have peeled off unexpectantly when their form was good for unknown reasons. Other guys have peeled because of poor form which is to be expected when in concert with a slippery bar.

No amount of chalk, honey, etc will solve this.

With some bars at CF, they have just the same problem.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Very often, you won't know when your grip will fail until right before it does.

If you are working on a slick bar, this can happen unexpectantly. Our HB at gym is bare because of the pvc strap system that slides over it that is used to lock in gymnasts to the bar when swinging giants around the bar or other circle work. This rubs any chalk off the bar and polishes it which makes for a very slippery bar.

Some of our boys have peeled off unexpectantly when their form was good for unknown reasons. Other guys have peeled because of poor form which is to be expected when in concert with a slippery bar.

No amount of chalk, honey, etc will solve this.

With some bars at CF, they have just the same problem.
Blair, your comparing apples and oranges here. We are performing some gymnastic elements for WOD's and not working advanced high bar movements etc...

We are really performing body movements and showing the benifits of such for WOD's and transference of our skills for WOD's and skill set training.

We are striving for form and safety in everything at our CF Gymnastic certs and teach folks how to use the bar with thumbs for safety and how to use a kipping swing developing good control and safety, thus - why i expect everyone in our cert to pefrom using their thumbs, for safety! Simply, it is a stronger grip.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg D Hamilton View Post
In a recent Tucker video, I think it may have been the learn to kip one, he points out that the thumb should be under the bar as opposed to on top with the rest of your fingers.

It feels awkward when I try to grip the bar like that and I haven't seen many, if any, other people who grip with the thumb underneath.

Does anyone have more input on why the thumb on the bottom grip would be reccommended?

Thanks,
We go into great detail on how to grip with the thumb, how to open and close that grip with movement in order to reduce tears etc on the hands. We also show a very effective kipping method that creates solid momentum for CF's default pull up with a kip and we show how one can use this grip for safety.

Most folks I encounter feel the same way - and they have to re wire their brains when using this grip. It will feel very different to you and we explain many nuances about how to use such a grip.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Jeff, I think somewhere in this thread you thought I was supporting the use of a gal's overgrip for the kipping PU. I did argue the use of this overgrip in another thread but probably because I just like saying I could use it.

The last post I made in this thread brought up the concern that many of the bars used in CF gyms are slick, sometimes also because they are painted.

On a side note, I was mucking around at CFMarin's open house yesterday doing the butterfly kip on the gals bar using an overgrip, not an opposed grip. I definitely didn't like it but I also haven't tried butterfly kipping PU in awhile ( in fact I noticed it was also harder to control than I'm used to in the overgrip ). Bare in mind that I don't have big hands which is why I prefer the men's bar as well ( I think they are 7 inches from palm to fingertrip ). This was in my WU period but the parkour class were passing under the HB after a box drill so I couldn't go there.

No matter where are team girls are doing pullups be it the men's or women's bar, I think they are using an opposed grip. Frequently, they'll kip their PU when the women's coaches aren't looking ( they prefer to have them perform it strict which is sort of ridiculous at the volume and lack of rest they ask them to do them in ). I'll spy on them tomorrow and see what grip they are using.

Lately, I have been using the UB for CTB PU, non kipping mainly because I can jump to it and not have to climb up like I do when I want to get to the HB. I can't remember which grip I've been using.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Loest View Post
Katherine,
You owe me a keyboard from the mental image that brought on. Most people should have a pretty good idea when their grip is going to fail, so really shouldn't be flying off in odd directions.

P.S. You could always use wraps!:stir:
Wasn't me! I can't kip hard enough to go anywhere but down!

But there's a picture of a guy at my affiliate who managed to launch himself horizontally. (Sorry, no link. I don't want to embarrass him anymore than he already is.)

Katherine