CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Rob Ray

Profile:
A question for those that WOD before bed...

How do you settle yourself back down afterwards to fall asleep?

During the week my only available time to squeeze in a workout is ~8PM and I try to be in bed by 10PM. I have trouble falling asleep and when I finally do, usually wake up shortly afterwards with a horrendous appetite -- which leads to midnight fridge raids.

My schedule is usually:

Dinner - ~6:30PM
WOD - 8PM (1 hour)
Protein Shake - 9:15PM
Bed - 10PM

Any suggestions?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Patrick Scott

Profile:
Re: A question for those that WOD before bed...

I'm pretty much on the same schedule except I eat dinner a bit earlier and it's a light dinner (can't train w/ food in my stomach). I have sleep issues as well, especially when my workouts go a bit beyond an hour, which they normally do. I think the best thing to do is to just get into a routine. As soon as the workout is over, jump right into that routine and start winding down. Protein shake, shower, log your workout, then hit the hay. Avoid bright lights, no tv, no computer. Try that routine for a few weeks and see if it helps. That's what I "try" to do, although it doesn't always work out.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

I used to experience very similar problems until I switched my dinner time. I moved my dinner to after my WOD and had a protein shake before it. My problems with sleeping and hunger both went away. Your body could also just need time to adjust. How long have you been working out right before bed for?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

I frequently work out at until 10 PM. I find I can get to sleep at 12. Men's league hockey is much worse; a 10:30 game means a 2 AM bedtime.

I suggest the following options:

1. go to bed at 11

2. eat dinner earlier and get to the gym at 7

3. eat a snack instead of dinner at 6:30, go to gym at 7, and eat main meal after gym

4. save the hardest workouts for the weekend when you can likely work out earlier and sleep later
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Clayton Mowat

Profile:

Try a couple of small pieces of celery with almond butter before bed. I read about it in "The four hour body" . Works great for me
Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:

I agree with getting a set routine so your body expects bedtime, and switching to dinner after the WOD with the protein shake or snack before. I also workout just before bed and this has worked for me. Until a few months ago I did my WODs right after work. It took me a month of so to get a set routine, and switch dinner (my fiance hated the late dinners but now I prep the food before the WOD for her), and it got easy to sleep after that. The advice about lights and screens is important as well, those are sleep preventing objects. Hope you figure out something soon!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Brian Androsian

Profile:

I had the same problem for awhile with working Out late or having a soccer game end at midnight. I found a good cold shower helps me relax and sleep. I do this every time I workout late and have no problem sleeping whatsoever after.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Rob Ray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Hoyle View Post
I used to experience very similar problems until I switched my dinner time. I moved my dinner to after my WOD and had a protein shake before it. My problems with sleeping and hunger both went away. Your body could also just need time to adjust. How long have you been working out right before bed for?
I've been on this schedule for a little over a month now. I've tried to monkey with a snack before the WOD instead of dinner and other little tricks, but it's difficult to balance having an actual dinner with the wife and baby and squeezing in training time. I haven't tried the cold-shower idea, nor do I steer clear of TV or computer (that last hour while winding-down is my last chance to catch up on things). It's probably a simple result of trying to cram too much into a short time period.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

The body adjusts to crazier things than you trying to get a work-out and TV before bed. It will just take some time for your body to adjust to the schedule that it has been presented with. My advice, try to avoid eating after your dinner, even of you wake up feeling hungry. If your body knows that it will be fed when it wakes you up, it will keep doing it. Drink some milk or some other drink that will fill you up in place of food. Keep us posted.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
Stanley Walter

Profile:

I think you get used to the lifting part and still being able to sleep. But like others in this thread have said, I have a hell of a time falling asleep after hockey.

We're usually done the game by 10PM, and it easily takes me till 1-2AM to fall asleep. I hate it.