CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:
Rig, Bumpers, and WODs on a basketball floor

Hey there, I have a small group of folks and we are outgrowing our tiny space as more and more people want to start getting fit. There are not many options in my rural area and I spoke to the owners of an unused building with basketball court type floor, I think it was an old racquetball court. It is roughly 28'x42', plenty big for some growth. I am thinking I will need to put ply wood underneath our stall mats so that the bumpers don't damage the floor. I was thinking 3/4", or is there another suggestion?

Second, would anyone have any pictures of a rack that is not bolted into the floor but secure? I seen Rogue has a skid plate option but the price is steep. I was wondering what they look like. I could probably have some fabricated for much cheaper locally.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Rig, Bumpers, and WODs on a basketball floor

I expect stall mats alone would protect the floor. Heavy kettle bells are actually the biggest threat to the underling wood. If you/landlord want 100% guarantee floor won't get hurt you could lay a layer of 1/2" stall mats first with 3/4" on top. Just lay them in different patterns. Nothing would hurt the floor.

If you can't drill into the floor for a rig then consider squat stands and a separate wall mounted pull up bar.

We use ES-1's at my Olympic gym and they work fine. They are 4'x'4 footprint but you can store 2 together. Takes 16 sq feet of floor space in the corner.

The other idea is wall mount a rig 4' off the wall and use the foot attachments. If you went 24" you would get 3 racks and still have a 28' x 37' space for everything else. With this set up you can add the shrimp trawler and handle you rings as well.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

I'd build some lifting platforms specifically for heavy lifting (esp. C&Js) or drop intensive workouts with moderate weights (e.g. 135# Grace with a lot of singles). You can probably drop 95# or less a lot on just 3/4" stall mats without any damage, but once you get up around 135# or more, with enough frequency/reps I do think the damage would slowly accumulate, you'd start to see slight indentations, some soft spots, and eventually (1000+ reps) actual cracking/breaking of the wood floor underneath.

As far as the rig, I've seen some custom rigs where instead of the skid plate they just mount it to some 2x6s, and the tubing wasn't even as good as Rogue's. Now this was for a one day competition, so not sure how it would hold up in the long run, but if it's a decent length rig (20+ ft) it would be pretty heavy, and you could put some plate storage on it with a bunch of 45s to be safe. It would probably still have some wobble with lots of people doing kipping pull-ups, but should be good enough for daily class use (may need to replace 2x6s periodically, probably once or twice per year I'd guess).
Old 08-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:

Thank you for the replies. I had trouble finding affordable wall pullup solutions. You have to buy the piping and cut it, which is an extra cost in addition to the mounts for longer ones. I think I may just go with the Rogue rig and see if I can get some skid plates fabricated locally. Purchasing from Rogue adds $1200 to the cost of the rig, which is already $3000

The 2x6 solution might work too though. You wouldn't by chance have some pictures? I am curious about the mounting hardware. I have a few weeks to figure this out before we move in. Getting nervous but excited. Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

It was from a comp in 2011, so pics are hard to find. Tried to attach one I found online here but it just shows the obvious. You would need to use countersunk bolts to keep it laying flat, same as the skid plates.

Also, I'd rec finding some true 2x6 for a little more material thickness and thus stiffness (regular "2x" is actually 1+9/16 in.).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	13553  
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Paul Glezer

Profile:

I would be VERY careful. When i first started a few years ago we were in the basement basketball court of an old church. The floor was not pristine when we started but we def didnt help. We wod'ed on 3/4 inch stall mats and over a few months the floor was starting to show signs of degrading.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:

Thanks for the pic. I have been asking some other folks, and a few others who did a basketball court said some plywood or something between the mats and gym floor is a must. Showed me some pretty destructive pics of dropping 225 from overhead. Definitely don't want to have to pay for that kind of damage.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
Steven Thunander

Profile:

It will depend on two things....
1. What is the subfloor? If it is concrete with a foundation and dirt underneath, you will be OK.
2. If you meet the conditions of #1, you can put down some thick stall mats (2 layers). That will protect the wood floor and cut down on noise.
I would still have platforms for heavy lifts and heavier metcons, or put a wood layer between the double layer of stall mats and floor if you intend to use the entire floorspace. And, hi-temp type bumpers will help you in this instance.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:

I am not sure what the sub floor is, the building was built by the Air Force in the 50's. But this is what I am trying to avoid http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/fiu-...sfit-destroyed (WFS)