CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:
Sots Press Pain

I have a lot of pain in the front and top of my shoulder when I do the sots press. Anyone else experience this? It's not tight flexibility pain, feels more sharp. I am not writing off flexibility but it exists both with PVC and a 45kg bar. I haven't tried heavier since it hurts. I warmed up for about 15 minutes and I tried the door stretch, some pvc pass thrus, and it was still there. Anyone know of any mobility drills that will potentially help this? Shoulder stability at the bottom of the squat during my snatch has been a limiting factor for me so I am trying to work on it. Thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
BMH

Profile:  
Re: Sots Press Pain

generalized or can you point to exactly where it hurts? Any grinding or particular spot the pain comes about? Do you have problems with any other pressing movements?

Being in a full squat, I would not be surprised if you are getting inadequate scapular mobility and positioning. What are your pulling movements by the way?

Last edited by BMH; 05-24-2013 at 08:59 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:

I can point to exactly where it hurts, over head it is fine. It is on the lowering portion, right when it gets below the top of my head. The front of the deltoid is like a piercing pain and it moves from the front to the top as I lower. I have no other problems. When I first started crossfitting about 18 months ago I had similar pain while push jerking. Not the same level, but in the same area. But that went away quickly after some browsing on mobilityWOD. By pulling movements do you mean weights? My apologies, but I live in a very rural area and don't belong to an affiliate, as the nearest one is over 90 minutes away.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Just search the mobilitywod site for shoulder, scapular mobility, snatch, overhead, and other such tag words. There's plenty on there. Hip and ankle mobility may also be something to work on, as you need a very upright torso at the bottom position of the snatch, especially if you're doing sots press.
That being said, I don't think sots press is the best way to improve shoulder stability in the snatch. Try overhead squats, snatch balance, and basic pressing strength exercises (overhead press, bench press) to strengthen your shoulders. Also, just snatch more. That's probably all you need to improve shoulder stability.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
BMH

Profile:  

No pro but it sounds like scapular stability is giving up on you. This could be because it is weak or thoracic mobility is such that it won't allow for a stable shoulder. the mwod site requires you to pay now so go look up the stuff you need on youtube in sanfransiscocrossfit's channel.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/episodes/ maybe wfs

The New Pro episodes seem to need the membership, old ones still work.

Try substituting Pressing Snatch Balance for the Sotts press. It's a bit easier on the shoulders.