CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:
Steps to Affiliation/Opening a Box

I am a little bit confused about the progress of affiliation.
But first a few words on me.

The next box is about an hour away, so I train at a weightlifting club, at university and doing a WOD once a week with friends.
On August 17 + 18 I have my level 1 course. Until the end of the year I wanna do a mobility and weightlifting course as well.

Let's say I want to open a box after my level 1 cert. As knowing from many different threads here and from the affiliation page I know that there are a few different steps, but I am a bit confused with those steps and don't know whether I forget something and so on.

Step 1: register a business - without any crossfit terms in it (August)
Step 2: the affiliate application - fill out the form and wait (end of August, after cert) http://www.crossfit.com/cf-contact/f...filiates.shtml
Step 3: the acceptance of affiliation - I now can use the name crossfit and get paperwork to fill out and send back (october 1st)
Step 4: I have to pay for affiliation (???)

The dates in columns are just fantasy

Now my questions:
- Are the steps in the right order or are there more steps in between?
- Step 1&2: I am not allowed to use the term crossfit at that stage of affiliation, so I can't create a website or Facebook page to promote my upcoming box. So how should I get members entering my box on day one?
- Step 3: I think this is day one (correct me if I am wrong) and from that day on I am allowed to have a Crossfit box and train Crossfit in that box. Right? And with that question back to the last step. How do I get members from october 1st on if I am not allowed to say that until october 1st?
On that day I have also to fill out the paperwork wit URL for the homepage and so on. So the homepage has to be ready on that day, but not online yet? This doesn't make much sense to me.
- Step 4: When do I have to pay for affiliation? I think somebody wrote until 3 months after affiliation. Is that right?

I think this are the most important questions in my head right now, but others will follow

Thanks for your help!

Stefan Westernacher
Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Silviu Bona

Profile:
Re: Steps to Affiliation/Opening a Box

Start without affiliation if you want initial members. BUT you cannot advertise or say you train crossfit. If you register a name and it's declined by HQ what are you going to do? I suggest waiting.

You can always train for free with the agreement that once affiliated, you will charge x amount of money. Even so you still cannot advertise crossfit only that you yourself are a level 1cf trainer.

You also cannot use the name until after your fee is paid. -- someone correct me if I'm wrong on this point.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Great thread subscribing so I too can learn the process
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:

I am curious about some of these steps as well. I attended and passed my level 1 in March. I have been training people for free, a group of about 8 garage style, outdoors, and sometimes at a the company fitness center. They know I am a level 1 trainer, so they always tell others they do crossfit. I try to correct them and say we use crossfit methods. But they don't think there is a difference. I never advertise it either. It is just word of mouth that is getting out because of the results. I want to affiliate soon, but I feel like I am in the same boat as the original poster, and I don't know the logical order of things.

I applied for the RRG and I am waiting for some contact back. Besides registering a business without Crossfit in the name, what are the next steps? I have almost a dozen more people wanting to get started but I can't see training 20 people for free. I don't have time for that! Haha. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Silviu Bona

Profile:

charge them whatever you feel is adequate but do not advertise crossfit until you affiliate. You can print out personal cards that say you are a level 1 trainer, so build a base if you can man.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Timothy Mabe

Profile:

This has most of the information you need. http://www.crossfit.com/how-to-affiliate

Just know that is typically takes 6 weeks to get a reply and you have to have insurance and a $3,000 annual fee ready to go within 90 days of being accepted.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Mabe View Post
This has most of the information you need. http://www.crossfit.com/how-to-affiliate

Just know that is typically takes 6 weeks to get a reply and you have to have insurance and a $3,000 annual fee ready to go within 90 days of being accepted.
Thank you! I already know this site, but that doesn't make it more clear to me.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Dey Kim

Profile:

Also in the same boat of affiliating.

In order to run a CrossFit Box, do I have to apply for a business license as well as get affiliated?

I'm currently waiting to get approved.

I also understand I need insurance and plan on going through RRG for that.

Does anyone have any guidance on the business license part? What kind of a license do I need, how to get it, how long it takes, and how much it costs?

Much thanks in advance!

Warm regards,
Dey
Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dey Kim View Post
Also in the same boat of affiliating.

In order to run a CrossFit Box, do I have to apply for a business license as well as get affiliated?

I'm currently waiting to get approved.

I also understand I need insurance and plan on going through RRG for that.

Does anyone have any guidance on the business license part? What kind of a license do I need, how to get it, how long it takes, and how much it costs?

Much thanks in advance!

Warm regards,
Dey
You need to call your city and,or county. You need to register your business with them. If you don't, and they find out; you'll be ordered to pay back taxes. The price will vary from state to state for the license.