CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Jeff Enge

Profile:
False Grip

Obviously from the title of the thread, I'm working to strengthen my false grip for muscle-ups... I can do one at a time but can't string them together because I lose grip on the way down. Are there any drills for this that can be done day-to-day without hanging from the rings? I do my fair share of that, I just don't have large gobs to time to spend hanging in my front yard doing nothing else!

And semi-random question related to ring work: Does there come a point when the arms stop getting bruised/broken blood vessels from rubbing the straps or is that something that just is lived with? Or is it just me that gets that ?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: False Grip

On the way down from the top of the muscle up, pause at the bottom of the dip. Switch to the false grip there. Then continue on down. Repeat as necessary.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Have you thought about learning one without a false grip? A lot of the top coaches have stopped teaching the false grip due to the issues when attempting to string them together. Stringing Muscle-Ups is far more efficient without a false grip and definitely something to work for.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Well, false grip Muscle-ups for strength unless you are very strong and can do them without a false grip.

Well, don't allow your forearms to touch the straps. More ring turnout. You can also set the ring straps a bit wide to help this.

Front uprise MU probably is faster and way easier on the hands than connected false grip MU. Just a bit more tricky to do. I would not teach it until an athlete had gained some ring competence prior.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Thanks for the tips guys, practiced a bit trying to use some of them along with my coach's cues and got 5 strung together a couple times, which is a lot better than I had before and with a lot less kip with kind of a semi-false grip. And Blair, it's not the forearms I was having issues with, it was more the deltoid/bicep area. But it's getting better as I refine technique, I think I was doing something odd that rubbed my arms more.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Here you go buddy...this vid helped me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Gesxx61bI

Work family safe-muscle up progressions.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Hoyle View Post
Have you thought about learning one without a false grip? A lot of the top coaches have stopped teaching the false grip due to the issues when attempting to string them together. Stringing Muscle-Ups is far more efficient without a false grip and definitely something to work for.
Not sure I agree. Think quite a few athletes in the games were false gripping...could be wrong though

Think it depends on the athlete,
I've noticed that kippers struggle a lot more when their "kipping muscles" get burned out during a workout, where as the false grip crowd needs less help from the kip.

Both are technique specific and take time to refine; think majority would agree false grip decreases lever distance, therefore making the pull easier.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

hang on a pull-up bar by your wrist 'meat'. It will suck and hurt for a while, but definitely can be used to build the strength in your wrists.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:

I have yet to become competent in muscle-ups but this video was interesting:

(WFS) - http://youtu.be/DaRjG5BzDhM
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Glenn, it's just a front uprise. Nothing more. Exact same thing Paoli was showing awhile back.

Hell, they showed the back uprise a long time ago too. Steve Low and I talked about and he thinks it would take less energy.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...ackUprises.wmv wfs

Only thing is you probably cannot create that sort of swing on CrossFit rings (nor were they designed for it in mind) because of the height rings are set up on typically.