CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Stuart Carraway

Profile:
Wife

My wife is pregnant and we are expecting are first child in Sept. She was going the box every day and for the first couple of weeks of her pregnancy. She stopped due to not knowing how it would affect the baby and just being scared since we have had some trouble before. She is going to go back once she can but think that she can jump right into working out again. Our box has a beginner class for people to get used to working out the CFer's do and I stated that she might need to do that just to get her muscles used to it again (not cause rhabdo). Would that be smart or does anyone have any advice? Thank you in advance.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Dan Thomas

Profile:
Re: Wife

First, congratulations!

Second, there are lots of good resources, WODs, and people at CrossFit Mom (wfs).
Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Stuart Carraway

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
First, congratulations!

Second, there are lots of good resources, WODs, and people at CrossFit Mom (wfs).
Did not know about that, thank you for the resource! WIll for sure take a look at that.

Thank you very much again, we are having a baby girl!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Cliff Miller

Profile:

weird coincidence my boxes blog was just talking about all the babies that have been happening over the last 2 years

http://crossfitsquamish.ca/blog/ (wfs)

is a good posting as to what our canadian ladies have been doing
Old 06-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Chris Girgis

Profile:

CONGRATS!!!

I've heard that Paleo + CrossFit = Mass Fertility.

We're in a similar boat...on track for a mid-December delivery and recent end of 1st Trimester checkup shows a well-developing and laid-back baby!

Some OB-GYNs will advise to keep HR below 140-150 BPM. This is simply a guideline and the concept being that HR elevation (from exercise) due to increased muscle activity will bias O2 intake towards muscle tissue and away from organs and baby.

Because of some troubles before, we're not taking any chances so my wife is wearing a HR monitor that alerts over 130 (the thinking that HR is on the way up). She initially had it set to alert at 140 but was then peaking near 160. She is also avoiding long WODs that might increase body temp too much.

She is subbing, on occasion, from http://crossfitmom.com/ (WFS)

Last edited by Chris Girgis : 06-08-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Dan Thomas

Profile:

My wife and I read a lot about it and try to keep 3 things in check: heart rate, body temp, and physical danger to the baby.

Chris touched on the first 2. No WODs in the midafternoon garage, and a HR monitor is a great idea.

As for the physical danger to the baby... no handstand pushups, full squat snatches, box jumps, burpees, etc. CrossFit Mom has subs for all these.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

Another practical guideline I've heard that I like, since heart rate will tend to be highly individual based on a lot of factors, is simply not to be out of breath. If you feel like you aren't getting enough air your baby might feel that way too.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Paulo Santos

Profile:

First off, congrats.

Honestly, if she had some problems in the past, I'd tell her to do low impact stuff. She can still stay in great shape doing that. There's also yoga for pregnant women.

She can make up for it by eating as healthy as she can while she is pregnant and hit the gym hard after the baby. My wife almost lost our first one at 6 months, so I wouldn't chance it.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

I would be a little hesitant. And by that, I mean do your research and really check the workouts, and get proper advice. I am on my 3rd pregnancy that I have worked out in. Some workouts, including even on Crossfit mom, seem to contradict obstetrical advice (I understand that even obstetrical advice conflicts with itself but some are general, such as deadlifts & a possible link to placental abruption, flat bench and oxygen flow).

Don't get me wrong, I've been in my Oly gym daily (I'm 6 months) and until 41 weeks with another. But I've also seen pictures of women in CF gyms doing things that are generally considered unwise in pregnancy and then captions of "You go girl!" or whatever... I think there is a balance to be struck. We need to stay fit for labour and recovery, but it's also not the time to prove a point either.